Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5-speed EA82 box into a Brat - console fitting ?

dfoyl

Just finishing the EA82 d/r into my Brat, and trying to work out the best combination of MY and L console options. I have the slanted angle (early EA81) CD console, so I don't want to touch that part, but would like some advise (and photos!) of what others have done to get a factory look with the different style of d/r lever please :banana:

Dean.

GD,

Our EA82 d/r level is completely different from the EA81 - the EA81 sits next to the handbrake and works in a similar method - horizontal = 2wd, 15 degrees up = 4wd hi and 30 degrees up = 4wd lo. The EA82 lever is more like the regular gearlever but sits to the left of the gearlever. I'm guessing the US lever system is different due to the RHD/LHD change and the 2wd/4wd lever would be in your way. Might have to hit one of you guys up for a US d/r lever linkage...

Thanks for the info.

Dean.

You can use the stock EA81 lever setup (at least here in the US). The D/R rod needs 1" added to it, and you use the standard 5 speed gear selector linkage. My Brat looks 100% stock inside with a 5 speed. Just added a 5 speed knob of my choice (80/81 2WD knobs are nice).

GD

GD,

Our EA82 d/r level is completely different from the EA81 - the EA81 sits next to the handbrake and works in a similar method - horizontal = 2wd, 15 degrees up = 4wd hi and 30 degrees up = 4wd lo. The EA82 lever is more like the regular gearlever but sits to the left of the gearlever. I'm guessing the US lever system is different due to the RHD/LHD change and the 2wd/4wd lever would be in your way. Might have to hit one of you guys up for a US d/r lever linkage...

Thanks for the info.

Dean.

That's how they are here too: EA81's have the "handbrake" style lever, and the EA82's have a curved lever that comes up higher and goes through the same console as the gear shift - take a look at the actual linkage UNDER the car and you will see what I mean. The EA81 lever should work fine if you add 1" to the rod that attaches to the tranny with a round pin. Regardless of RHD or LHD the tranny's are the same - only the linkage is different. The 4 speed and 5 speed have the same connection at the tranny for the the linkage, but the 4 speed is an overall longer transmission, thus the need to lengthen the 4WD rod to account for the shorter 5 speed D/R attachement.

GD

You can use the stock EA81 lever setup (at least here in the US). The D/R rod needs 1" added to it, and you use the standard 5 speed gear selector linkage. My Brat looks 100% stock inside with a 5 speed. Just added a 5 speed knob of my choice (80/81 2WD knobs are nice).

GD

GD, How does the 5 speed work for you? Do you get more power and perfomance? How about gas milage?

Dean

kzoz1968@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

if your stereo console is not unified with the shifter console you could out an ea82 console in there without it looking terribly ill if you are using the ea82 4wd lever. the 2 screws uner the handbrake cover will match up.