Ultimate Subaru Message Board

IAC Valve Adjustment?

Guest sonnyny

I'm still having a problem upon cold start ups with my 96 GT 2.5. It cranks over, runs smooth for a second or two, sputters for a few seconds, then kicks up to 3,000 rpms for a few more, then kicks down to normal operation. Someone suggested an IAC Valve problem. I think it is the right call.I have taken the IACV out inspected and cleaned it and noticed that an adjustment is possible. I can turn the top of the unit to make the valve open or close.Does anyone know what the the specs or measurements should be? I have read the Haynes manual and they just call for replacement. I don't want to waste $344 if I don't need to. Hope to hear your suggestions.

Guest Legacy777

I don't think your problem is the IAC valve. Don't really touch the magnetic portion on the top unless you mark where it originally was. It was calibrated from the factory and changing it could poorly affect things.

Does your problem only occur when cold, or does it happen when hottoo. All the time, sporadic? What grade fuel are you using, what routine maintenance if any have you done lately?

Guest sonnyny

Josh,

Thanks for the reply. Have replaced plugs, air filter, fuel filter, and the wires look fairly new, after picking the car up at a dealer auction. The problem only occurs at a cold start and happens about 80% of the time. I'm about to run test on the coil and wires but usually coils and wires act up while hot. Do you know of a test for the IACV ? Do you have any other ideas? I would sure appreciate some feedback. Oh yeah, 87 octane all the time.

Thanks,

Sonny

Guest Legacy777

Ok, got some more questions. Does this happen immediately after starting it up, or does it happen when you try to start taking off/moving?

My car has a similar problem where if I start it up when it's sat for a while, and I don't let it idle for a while, as soon as I put it in gear and press the gas the rpms will drop and sputter a little bit. The car will then go with no problems. If I let it idle for a little bit, I don't have the problem.

I think it's possibly an injector, carbon build up problem....I've got a new set of injectors to put in that I can hopefully do in the next few weeks. I can let you know how that goes.

You might want to try running a bottle of techron or other fuel system cleaner through. Put it in half tank so it's more potent.

Guest dwightr8

Don't they recommend premium fuel for the 96 2.5? Probably not what's causing your problem but could decrease overall performance.

Dwight