Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing rotors and brake pads

I'm going to replace the front rotors and brake pads on a 2001 Legacy Outback. I have a Chiltons service manual that covers the outback up to 1996. Question is, is the proceedure the same for a 2001?? Also if it is, the manual says to thread 2 metric bolts into the rotor, and apparently they push against the hub to seperate the rotor. Does anyone know what size these bolts are and how long?? Any info. is appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Originally posted by jbbancroft

I'm going to replace the front rotors and brake pads on a 2001 Legacy Outback. I have a Chiltons service manual that covers the outback up to 1996. Question is, is the proceedure the same for a 2001?? Also if it is, the manual says to thread 2 metric bolts into the rotor, and apparently they push against the hub to seperate the rotor. Does anyone know what size these bolts are and how long?? Any info. is appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Virtually the same procedure on the 2001. I am not sure when Subaru switched to the newer style of caliper slider, but basically you have two bolts on the top and bottom back side of the caliper to undo to get the caliper off on your 2001. Not a hard task. Older Subaru's had one bolt through the lower slider and the caliper rotated off the pads and was pushed off the upper slider, this type of slider was prone to rust and sticking so Subaru changed it.

The bolts are M8 and you should use ones that are about 1.5 to 2 inches in length. 1 inch will probably do, but there is no harm using a longer bolt. Usually after a 1/2 inch or so the rotor pops off, but on some occasions I have found that 1 inch bolts are not long enough to get the rear rotor/drum off. The front rotors are a lot easier to pop off than the rears.

Use brake cleaner to clean the brakes before working on them.

Also use brake quiet (anti squeal) on the shims and backs on the brake pads (not the rotor side, the OTHER side). Subaru brakes will squeal badly without this.

You should be due to change the brake fluid (30month/30,000 mile item), might as well do that at the same time if you feel up to the task. I do the brake fluid with all four tires on the car, It's not all that hard to reach around to connect the brake bleed kit and open and close the bleeder valve. Just don't get brake fluid on the wheels or body of the car or it will take the finish off.

See this related post:

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7847

When you get your rotors off use antiseize compound on the backside of them before you put them back on. Either that, or just put it on the mounting yoke (the ring with the 5 studs sticking out of it that the rotor mounts to). Be certain not to get any on the rotor braking surfaces or the wheel studs. I guarantee that you won't need those 8M bolts to remove the rotors next time.

I just replaced the rotors and pads today. This job was a piece of cake. I think a non mechanic person could do it.

Only clich I had was a couple bolts were rusted in pretty good. Had to use a little heat on one. the right side rotor fell right off when I took the caliper off, The left side I had to use the removal bolts. Took a test run and its working great. Parts at the dealer were $230.00 plus tax. Thanks for all the advise. Jim