Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake Pads...

Guest JER2911

Hey, I know I should use a search for this but it's very late. Anyway, I really need to get the front pads changed on my car - the squeek has been driving me nuts long enough. What's needed to do it myself?? I know fluid,pads - but what are the special tools if any?? Basically if anyone has a detailed write up about it that would be great!! It's a '91 Legacy Sedan LSi...Thanks!

Guest applegump

Here is a link with lots of photos:www.geocities.com/matsut_rpi00/brake_fix.html

After having seen this web site, I finally takkled my front pads. Man is it EASY 8o .

About the tools, nothing special at all. Just raise car, remove the wheel, loosen lower caliper bolt with a 14mm socket, and a c-clamp to compress the caliper.

What brand of pads are you putting in? I put in some Axxis Deluxe Plus with great results at great value.

I hope this helps, if you have more questions just post.

'90 Legacy 2.2 LS

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

On most cars, they have the fluid volume worked out in such a way , after you push the piston back for the new pads you will have the proper level of fluid. If you've 'topped off' the BF it will spill out when you push the pistons back.

Of course if you intend to fill the system with new fluid, the above is not a concern.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest JER2911

I won't have a problem with the ABS will I??

I'm just going to try and do it without having to change the fluid. It seems ok to me.

How big of a c clamp do I need??? Might go to Lowe's today and get one since I do this about once every 2 years...

Thanks alot guys!

Guest theotherskip

you shouldn't have any problems with the abs unless you like to cut random wires. the only part of the abs system which is on the wheel is the tire rotation sensor, and you will see a wire that comes away from the wheel which does this. this is what determines how fast each tire is rotating and compares to see if one is not spinning while the others are doing 50. you should see the rest of the system under the hood - it has a bunch of thin metal tubes going in and out of it. this is the part that does the actual pulsing of the brake fluid.

as for the c clamp, there is a better tool that i highly recommend. i think it is in the $10 range at pepboys or autozone type stores. it looks like half a brake pad with a threaded rod through it. you place one of the old pads in the piston side, then this tool in place of the other pad, turn the knob, and it compresses the piston. very easy...

here's a description: www.discount-car-parts-on...reader.htm

Guest FlyStyle

hey guys

well ive been searching and seemed to have lost the links that josh sent for places to get axxis pads for subarus.. all the sites ive been seeing lists acuras and other stuff like that only.. got some plain brembo plain rotors from tirerack just now and really want to get pads to finish the job....

thanks

ali

Guest JER2911

The last Subaru brakes I dealt with were a pain in the rear to change - stupid little metal clamp kept falling off or something (car was and '80 Wagon) I was wondering if it's gotten easier with the newer Legacies???

Thanks for all the help!!! This will be easier than I thought!!!! - I think. :)

Guest Legacy777

these brakes are a cake to change. I think the only easier ones I've delt with were a set of pads on my mom's 90 yota 4x4 pickup. The stock calipers are 4-pots and you simply remove a clip take the old pads out, and put the new ones in.

Guest FlyStyle

When i put in a 94 legacy L sedan,

it comes up as the rear pads. But my car has rear discs. So my question is will the "rear pads" fit the front of my car??

thanks again

Ali

Guest gbhrps

Rear pads are smaller than the fronts on every car. Fronts are much larger, because they do 60% of the actual braking and the rears only 40%. They are not interchangeable. As well, you will usually find that you have to change 2 sets of front pads for every 1 set of rears. In other words your fronts always wear at a faster rate than the rears. Good luck on your brake job attempt! Its not hard, saves you money, and gives you a greater appreciation for your ride.

Guest Legacy777

Ali,

What are you putting in? rear pads refers to rear disc brake pads.

If you're looking for stuff online for those two sites i posted, call them. They will be able to get you pads for the front and rear. They just don't have them listed on their site (stoptech's)