Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hydraulic clutch piston vibrating on clutch fork

legacy with hydraulic clutch mechanism. the engine vibrates some and the piston of the hydraulic cluch mechanism rubs against the clutch fork, making a light noise occassionally. is it supposed to be tighter than that? everything runs and works perfectly otherwise. doesn't appear to be any adjustment to it...but i bet 'im wrong?

can anyone post a picture of where/how this spring fits? real easy to see. i have a couple EJ25's and it seems none had this spring. a diagram or picture would help, i don't see any obvious holes or clips for where to put the spring.

No spring on ours either. (98 OBW 2.5) If memory serves, there is a fairly light spring inside the slave cylinder to help "bias" the piston out. Does the clutch fork feel loose? Generally, the self adjusting nature of hydraulic clutches takes up any free play, hence no rattling/vibration.

Nathan

okay back to the drawing board...what keeps the clutch fork tight to the hydraulic cylinder? it's not tight to it and will make noise occassionally.

Gary,

as I stated before, if memory serves, I think there's a light spring inside the slave cylinder which helps push the piston out. Also, if your master cylinder was screwed up or misadjusted, it could pull a vaccum as the pedal returns to the up position, backing off the slave cylinder slightly. There should be some slight free play in the pedal before it engages the pushrod for the master cylinder.

In the "long shot" category, if you have any strange mechanical issues with the engine or clutch release mechanism (here's a real long shot- bad thrust bearings in the motor, crankshaft shifts forward and back as the engine runs and keeps screwing with the release fork.)

Good luck,

Nathan