Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Legacy 2.5i - recommended engine oil?

OK folks, what engine oils do you recommend for normal driving in a 2005 legacy sedan with the manual transmission?

My dealer is currently using Kendal GT-1 - an oil about which I know nothing.

I grew up in a dedicated Penzoil family and that is my only real, long term experience, though I am now hearing comments about high paraffin levels.

Experience and recommendations are appreciated,

mikkl

You are going to get a couple dozen experiences and recommendations... There is no clear "right" answer and no one "best" oil.

Whatever oil you choose, just don't wait too long to replace it. (And how long that is opens another can of worms...)

You are going to get a couple dozen experiences and recommendations... There is no clear "right" answer and no one "best" oil.

Whatever oil you choose, just don't wait too long to replace it. (And how long that is opens another can of worms...)

I rather suspect that. However, there seem to be a number of heavy-duty mechanics here who may actually have some experience looking inside engines after a few years and seeing what /really/ happens.

Heck--I would be happy with a link to an official Subaru reference. I went browsing on their site and could find nothing.

mikkl

Official Subaru recommendation here in Europe is Midland Oil. Which is also known stateside as "Quaker State".

I would personally suggest one of the following:

Mobil 1 5W-40

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 (shushes piston slap nicely)

Motul 8100 "X-cess" 5W-40

Please not that these oils have such viscosity ratings at 100 degrees C that they almost qualify as 5W-50

I base my suggestion not only on opinion and here say, but oil analysis performed by Blackstone Labs.

Drain and replace interval from 5 to 7 k miles.

The "high parrafin levels" thing you've heard is garbage designed (by the actual originator(s) of the idea) to confuse you into buying one brand of oil over another. Paraffinic base stocks are higher quality, not lower. The concept of wax in the oil is not an operative concept here.

Kendall GT-1 used to be absolutely top of the heap oil. Now it is just a brand owned by Conoco-Phillips. It's still good oil, but the old Kendall engineers didn't come over in the buyout.

Subaru's recommendation is for an API certified oil (check your manual for what certification and grade). They don't recommend a brand in the USA, except to say that the Subaru-labeled oil meets their requirements.

I used to use Mobil's oils, but not any more. They are not up to par any more in terms of wear control, even across the Mobil 1 product line. I do not say this from my own opinion, but rather from UOAs and more importantly from a professional oil analyst who knows his stuff.

here's really what it comes down to...and a previous post about choice of oil.

That is the bottom line. The fact is, only a handful of companies actually MAKE their own oil, and through very high-tech procedures. It's almost like gasoline, where a few companies make and share the same gasoline, in a few big tanks, and a lot of other companies add their own additives to sell it.

If you want some real information from actually educated people, many of whom have worked in the oil and lubrication engineering industry for their whole carreers, go visit http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ . These people are fanatical about oil...you will never find anyone who knows more about oil than people there.

Basically what it comes down to is: ALL oils are SIGNIFICANTLY better then even 10 or 15 years ago, and continue to get better every year. The amount that synthetic has gotten better is less than the amount that conventional has gotten better, and it's now closing in on the quality of synthetic...not equal, but getting closer. Any oil on the shelf, even non-name brand (since it's made by a larger company and re-packaged by no-name distributors) is going to be just fine, but some oils are better at some things than others. Newer oil is intended more for roller (lifter, or cam follower) motors than sliding tappet/cam motors, so additives must be taken into account (i.e. ZDDP or other barrier lubricants). No oils have wax in them (even Pennziol, sorry), but nearly ALL oils are made from parafinic crude, so the confusion began by uneducated people hearing the term "parafinic" and thinking "parafin." Sudge buildup and deposits are not caused by a certain kind of oil or another, they come from usage habits, engine design, and environment conditions.

period.

You want more information on oil? Go visit that website, and get over "so and so told me" or "a mechanic I know says" BS that people bring up. Without cold, hard facts, based on actual scientific data (like actual studies, or virgin and used oil chemical analysis), nobody has really any grounds to be saying "this oil is better" or "this other oil causes problems." Opinions are very strong about oils especially, and you're really never going to convert anyone, but if we're having an open, intelligent discussion, let's keep it based in fact...otherwise say something like "this oil has worked well/poorly for me"

I really like Amsoil myself, but not against other brands. Amsoil shares a lot of specifications about their oil and test results, which other brands tend to keep very secret (ashamed?)...but really, jus about anything you buy on the shelf that passed the API spec and other requirements for your motor will be just fine.

~Erik~

OK folks, what engine oils do you recommend for normal driving in a 2005 legacy sedan with the manual transmission?

My dealer is currently using Kendal GT-1 - an oil about which I know nothing.

I grew up in a dedicated Penzoil family and that is my only real, long term experience, though I am now hearing comments about high paraffin levels.

Experience and recommendations are appreciated,

mikkl

It's much safer to talk politics and religon.

nipper

In cars where I run conventional oil, I use Castrol GTX. In cars where I run synthetic, I use Mobil 1. I have only had one oil related engine problem (siezed camshaft in my Outback), and I was running Havoline instead of my usual Castrol at the time. That ought to stir the pot :grin:

here's really what it comes down to...and a previous post about choice of oil.

I really like Amsoil myself, but not against other brands. Amsoil shares a lot of specifications about their oil and test results, which other brands tend to keep very secret (ashamed?)...but really, jus about anything you buy on the shelf that passed the API spec and other requirements for your motor will be just fine.

~Erik~

Thanks for the info and the link. I have spent some time up there today and clearly need to spend a great deal more! Lot's of good reading there.

Thanks again,

mikkl

Coming from a petroleum engineer. Simply pick any SM certified oil and sleep good at night. If you are still worried, use the severe service schedule in your owners manual.

From past experience, you'd be spending better time worrying about the drivetrain instead of the engine. The engines usually outlast the cars.

• 1 year later...

2001 Forester and 1982 GL. Both get Castrol GTX 10w-30 and Purolator filter twice a year. Both do 6k miles or less/yr. Never an oil-related problem. But both are driven gently, lovingly, respectfully. Lots of foreplay, flowers and candy. "yes, dear. of course, dear. I'll shift you into 5th gear now dear."

:banana: