Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alright I know this is a beaten topic , but maybe if we do this thread right someone in the future will be able to pull it up on a (search) and find all the answers to there questions.

What brand and wieght of gear oil (front and rear diff) is everyone using?

Let us know what model , year , area of the country your from and either MT or AT.

Also give your results with the gear oil you are using.

Thanx

Jason

:banana:

1986 ea82 d/r 5spd 4wd GL wagon

Quaker State full synthetic (meets GL-5 standard)

used in tranny and rear diff

Results: EXCELLENT. Shifts much smoother, and is easier to shift when it's cold. After 5,000 miles, I still have to look pretty hard to see it on the dipstick because it's so clean.

REDLINE 75W90 full snyth goodness,

87' turbo w/NA 5 spd D/R+LSD

Redline made my tranny happy, tranny was out of a thrashed offroader, has untold miles (way over 200,000) and was designed for 97hp, not ~140hp, used to shift like crap in and out of third, and into 2nd, went to redline and everything is good! It's worth the extra $$

P.S. synthetics are thinner, so if your tranny leaks already keep the stuff from deep in the ground

Legacy has 126,500 miles, XT has 103,100 miles...

For my trannies, I use Castrol 80W90 dino, both the Legacy and XT... Legacy shifts better with this than anything else I've used, XT about the same...

For the rear diffs, I can accept synth, and use Redline 75W90 (no NS) in both the Legacy and XT... Works fine, I guess :rolleyes:

I wonder sometimes though if maybe you people are too rough with your cars. I'm not trying to dictate how you MUST drive your car, but I simply have accepted the fact that you can't slam Subaru gearboxes around, and I have fabricated my driving style around that. I am very patient with my synchros and I never grind them, at least with dino.