Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New(er) tires on the Toyota

I found a set of 33's on Pirate4x4 for $50. Local, so I couldnt pass em up. My brother-in-law is in town with my sister so I decided to take the day off, get my new tires mounted and take him to the local ORV park with a jeepin buddy of mine and tool around.

Great fun was had! These 33's sure do float over rocks alot better than my old 29's ever did. Now I just have to work on my gearing in order to save my clutch!

l_0ebdfdf90dc574c6369b6b806a31a3b6.jpg

l_6cefa73bd36d9b6d1ff31b52335b0f19.jpg

-Brian

Its the 4, and it has plenty of torque for the 33's. If they were 37's or 40's i would be sweatin the 6cyl.

Jared. Ive been lookin at dual t-case adapters all day cause man I could really use the gearing. I have another t-case sitting in the garage just waiting for the kit to put it in. BUt it just starts at the kit, then i need drivelines.

So im at a standstill... do I do the hysteer kit or the Dual t-cases??? Both are about the same, and both are equally important.

Tomorrow I fab my front bumper

-Brian

hmm, that's a hard one... gears or steering... front driveline can fab the square shaft if you know someone that has a welder. then shortening the rear shaft for now, till you get a HD one isn't too expensive.

hy-steer is really nice and a lot safer, but how bad do you want to burn the clutch up with stock gears? if you aren't slipping the clutch alot, go with the steering first, but if you want to save the clutch, get the dual cases. just my 2 cents.

Jared, im already toasting my clutch as it is. I see a replacement in the very near future. I have access to a welder and a steel supplier through work. My co-worker (the one with the welder, and only lives like 1/2 mile from me) built square driveshafts for his toyota, and they turned out real beefy and cheap. But his rig is a trailer queen and I still want to drive mine to the trails and back.

My steering is dinky and i can see it will fail soon, if given the chance. The hysteer kit is pretty much bolt on and i dont need any extra accessories, where-as the t-case kit just starts at the t-cases then i gotta do drivelines and x-members... kit might be $350, but i can see myself getting into the $500-$600 range real quick.

-Brian

but clutch after clutch gets spendy in the end. square driveshafts are fine for driving it on the street. just drive in 2wd and disengage the hubs. if it was awd the hubs couldn't disengage you'd have a problem. if driving in 4wd with a square shaft don't go over 25mph

I think im going to do the hysteer 1st. Was talking it over today with my buddy, and we agree'd...

The dual cases would be nice, however the steering will leave me stranded on the trail whereas the clutch would just make it difficult on the trail. That and it will be easier to buy the hysteer kit and install it, rather than peice together the dual case setup week after week and finally get it installed whenever.

I started working on my front bumper today too :) Its going to be sweet. I gotta clean up the main bumper beam at work with the grinder, then i'll snap some shots and post them up for everyone to see.

-Brian

Yah, I'd do the hysteer, too. It's also a safety issue: if you partially damage it on the trail, and then hit the highway home - could be bad (although, from what I've seen, when they go, they go!).

My buddy is doing a frame-off build on his 'runner (not a resto). He's doing the dual cases while it's all apart - gives him lots of room for working!

you'll also need a frame reinforcement kit for mounting the ifs steering box, flat pitman arm kit, and an ifs steering box, the 5th knuckle stud kit, so the bolts on the hy-steer kit don't keep loosening and eventually shear the studs. if not then your back in the boat of it possibly leaving you stranded somewhere on the trail.

5th knuckle kit, or 6 stud knuckles...

http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/

www.trailgear.com

• 2 weeks later...

Who is greg?

ive been reading all day about Trail-Gear's stuff, and have heard nothing of the sort.

I also emailed them about their flat pitman arm and they said it was only for use with the samarai.

If greg is running rear springs up front, then he will have problems like that.

-Brian