Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which year 2.5's are the best?

Guest subaru3

I know that the early version 2.5s had some difficulty with head gaskets and open block design, so what year did Subaru get this corrected?

I stick with 2.2s, but my mother is wanting a Forester, so when did the 2.5 in the Forester become less problematic?

Thanks a bunch!

Todd

Guest PAezb

I dunno about that. There seemed to be as many posts of failures from SOHC here as the DOHC (phase 1, phase 2 engines) - though I may be mistaken. Anyone know of a site that has tracked specific data trends on the model years? There was a thread here that attempted to poll those who had the failure, but damn if I can find it - this search engine sucks...

The other thing to consider is the newer model years tend to have less milage and haven't proven if they'll have the failures or not.

Paul

Guest Commuter

As said above, the newer the better probably.

The Forester should have the SOHC engine if 99 or newer. Subaru made a number of changes to the block in the Phase II engine to stiffen the bottom end, alleviate piston slap, etc. They have been at least partially successful IMO. There are still cases of head gasket failures showing up, but usually they are external leaks of coolant. (The DOHC Phase I engine head gaskets usually fail with internal leaks that cause 'strange' overheating problems.) I don't think there has been any significant changes to the engine with the latest genertion of Forester (2003).

If buying used, be sure to get the service history. Has there been a head gasket change? Check for leaks. Listen for piston slap (some still have it). Highway drive and listen for wind noise. (I've had a couple of Forester courtesy vehicles and have found some to have bad noise around the A-pillar.) Have a mechanic do a thorough inspection (always good advice).

There was also a minor update to the first generation Forester around 2001 I think. (Most noticable by the different grill and larger tail lights.) I think some creature comforts and features came along around this time too.

Commuter

Guest cookie

Get a 99 and up. you will still likly have head gasket problems, but at leat they can do a good repair on them. Clutch is a problem too. As well as several other things.

Guest WagonsOnly

So far my problems have been:

-Godawful clutch

-Hard starting when damp

-Noise around A-pillar and driver window

-Odd electrical problem-door close sensors stick and light stays on

-Rattling from rear hatch plastic

My car is a '99 with the Phase II engine, MT, and little else (keyless entry and the air filter, and the "L" trim package).

2001 and '02 models got the refreshening, and added a sunroof option. 2003 models made it impossible to get a sunroof and leather without an automatic. I think side airbags also debuted around 2000-01 as an option on the uplevel models. And the center rear headrest was new for '01.

Guest subaru3

Thanks everybody! I feel like I better have mom stick with the 2.2s. What a shame that this has happened with Subaru.

Todd