Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Horn wiring help

I decided to replace my horns on my '84 BRAT, picked up a set from a big Chevy sedan at the PAP. The new horns only had one spade terminal on them but had a spot for them so I soldered on the spade terms so they looked exactly like the Soob horns that I was removing. I mounted them in the same spots and when I reattached the neg battery cable I get constant horn. So of the 2 wires going to the horns I unplug the green w/ blk stripe one from both horns and try again only to get constant horn. I'm confused, what am I overlooking oh wiring gurus??

:confused: Thanks, in advance.

it sounds like the horn has a ground short. i put some lights on a blazer, and one of them i didnt have to hook up the ground. so what id try is leave the green/black wire unplugged, unplug the other one, and touch it to hot. if that works, then you could probaby run that to your horn switch.

I think the problem is the new horns only have one terminal going to them which needs to be tied to a switched power wire. The other lead of the new horn is grounded to the metal of the horn and frame of the car. Subaru uses a switched ground lead for the horn connection instead of a switched hot lead so the return wire of the horn needs to be isolated from ground or change the way power is delivered to the horn using a relay. If you want to use these horns you are going to need a relay in the circuit to switch the power to them. Let the original two wire connector operate a relay with the power lead going to the coil and switched contact of the relay. The other original lead (switched ground) will go to the other side of the relay coil.

i did the same thing 65 chevy pu. they had a bolt on them or mount that needs to be grounded. subarus have positiv horns in other words you have to run one of the wires of the soob to the ground (mounting bolt or bracket) on the horn but when u mount the horn you have to use a spacer u cant just mount it metal to metal that will make it compleat the circut(making constant horn) but if u do this it should work. it worked for me.

good luck rob