Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Easiest way to tow my wagon?

I think so of you may remember, but my 85' GL Wagon ejaculated a spark plug. Stripped the threads on the way out.

Due to my lack of garage, horrible weather, and overall laziness, I havent fixed it yet.

Well I decided 4wd would be nice to have in the snow if it snows soon, so I called Smart Subaru Service in Ballinger (north of Seattle) and they quoted me $80 to fix it for me.

This sounds way better than doing it myself, since it's so cheap.

Now, I just need a way to get the car there. I don't feel that safe driving on 3 cylinders (something about a hole with gas vapors coming out of it un-nerves me).

The mechanic is like, 3 miles from my house. No major hills. What's the easiest way to tow my car there?

I've never towed with a tow-rope before, so I was wondering if that's the easiest way to do it. Do I just over-compensate my braking to avoid rear-ending the towing vehicle... any tips or tricks?

Whenever Ive towed or been towed with a tow strap Ive always made sure that the other person involved and myself had set hand signals for braking ,accelerating,turning and so on. Also I think it works best for the vehicle being towed to do most of the braking. In doing so you keep the strap tight so there isnt any hard jerking when you start moving. Take it slow and try not to do it during rush hour traffic.

Oh yeah if you are really worried about rear ending the tow car just chain an old tire to your front bumber and another to the rear of the tow vehicle. I saw just yesterday a chevy corsica towing another corsica that must not have had any brakes. Every time the tow vehicle slowed down the other would just run right into the rear bumper of the other. I had to follow them and watch this happen again and again it was hilarious. They were using the junk tire method. From the looks of it they both probably needed to get checked for wiplash. I know it sounds cruel enjoying anothers suffering but when towing a vehicle without brakes you should definitely not get to speed over 40 MPH. So Iguess I wasnt enjoying there suffering just there absolute stupidity.