Ultimate Subaru Message Board

conversions to LPG?

crazy D

i love to help people gind information, thats why i always put a thread in this forum to gather info.

tell me everything about lpg

whats involved with the conversion?

how you do it?

turbo?

fuel economy?

emissions?

anything you can tell me, go for it...

the subaru kid

-Dalton

On a carb setup it's pretty straightforward.

You mount a tank, run a line up to the engine bay, put it through a solenoid to the vapouriser which also needs to be hooked up to the heater hoses.

You run a rubber hose from that to a mixer which sits on your carb to flow the gas in. This hose has a simple valve in it to control the mixture. The vapouriser works like a scuba regulator and the engine just sucks what it needs.

You then hook up a gas controller which controls the solenoid under the hood, and ususlly in the tank and vapouriser as well. It also has a control to cut the fuel pump for when you're running on LPG.

Then there's just little things like a filler hose and wiring for the always unreliable fuel gauge.

For efi, the controller has to interact with the computer to trick it into thinking everything's normal.

a kit for an ej22 is going to be around 500 not including bottle(S).

really ? they make kits for 2.2? thats awesome. link me, thanks brian

but still im not hereing what kind of mileage you get,

and power?

thanks

the subaru kid

-Dalton

It depends on your setup.

When I did my 1st conversion my power increased but that's most likely because my carb needed attention.

On a dual fuel setup you'll lose a bit of mileage but if you make it LPG only and raise the compression a couple of points you'll make that back. LPG is more knock resistant than petrol.

my mpg on petrol was 10 km per liter=10ltr per 100km = 28mpg imperial gallons.....nearly all hilly country and with a high canopy on

on LPG i use 7.69km per Ltr = 13Ltr per 100km = 21 mpg

advance set as far foward as it will physically go without moving dizzy round a tooth

interestingly my mpg never altered when i put the FT4WD DR 'box in

really ? they make kits for 2.2? thats awesome. link me, thanks brian

but still im not hereing what kind of mileage you get,

and power?

thanks

the subaru kid

-Dalton

can't really link you.that is my local price.not really a kit either..sure you could find one if you looked real hard.can't imagine many people wanting to run lpg on their roo.maybe in other weird places like oz...:grin:

.i suggest you go to a local conversion center and check it out.ask them what you are asking us.you will not get any long term savings by installing lpg,as it will balance itself out with the mpg.i mean you could save massive amounts if you had a hook up for lpg.not really a reason to do it in my eyes unless you need your car to run at extreme angles.:headbang:

I spent ten hours in brisbane this year, was enough for me.

You can buy a little black box that will retard the timing when running on petrol. I didn't have one, I just set it for LPG so it didn't like petrol too much.

I was going to program a pic to read a lambda sensor and control a stepper motor for the gas but then someone gave me one, which was very worthwhile.

• 4 months later...

I want to bump this up. Keep this discussion going, as it will be the only thing that keeps me from putting my Brat (brumby) up on the block. I know I can easily handle this, just not sure what parts I need to gather to hook it all up.

I'm looking at this from a 100% LP conversion.. now I will keep all my petrol parts on the truck for whenever I decide to fix the carb, to make it into a bi-fuel setup later, but for now, its all LP or nothing.

Specifically (part numbers) what was used in existing conversions? Mixer, regulator, style of bottle did you use? Photos?

What mixer can bolt onto or between the universally known Weber 32/36? I'd like to retain the Weber as a throttle body, if nothing else for right now.

I am planning on using what little money I have available to me to get this done to get the ute back on the road, as all my other "spare cars" are out to pasture.

I also plan on taking many pictures of what I do to assist others.... like my large case 100A alternator swap... ;) Possibly turning it into another USRM article.

Feed me information! I am now officially accepting this as my personal cause... :)