Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wanderance

Forester Cabin Air Filter

Guest wanderance

I was doing some normal maintenance on my 2003 Forester XS Premium, and decided to check in the manual to make sure nothing had to be done at the 1 year / 7500 mile mark. The only thing I can see is inspections, etc.

One thing caught my eye however. It says you should replace the cabin air filter. Since I know my model has one, I called the dealer up to see how much the filter was. They quoted me $55! I figured this must be a mistake, since the part needs to be changed every year. Since I live in a fairly dusty area and my fiance has allergies, I figure I need to replace it. The parts person told me he doubts it should be changed every year, and said I probably mis-read the manual (which I didn't)

Is this price normal? I figured it would be a $10 filter not $55! Is there any place online I can grab the filter for cheaper?

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

1. I think there are places on-line that offer those for 30-40 $

2. There is a guy posting on alt.autos.subaru that has a scheme for making his own reusable filter. You might be able to do that or email him if he is offering kits or something.

I will face this too with my new OBW and I may try to make some filters.

I think there is some online step-by-step pricedure photos too.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest WagonsOnly

My filter was original when I got my car (from a dealer, used) at 47k and 4 years old. Three months and 10k miles later, I don't think it really matters. It still works, there's no windshield fogging, no musty odors, and since the dealer didn't even think to replace it I'm sure I can get another couple of years out of it. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.