Ultimate Subaru Message Board

awesome vehicles, super cool commuter and road trip cars. not the funnest to drive as they are large and don't handle great in those terms, but ride really nice for long trips.

very, very expensive and hard to find parts. windshields are hard to find and run $500 - $700 for instance. transmissions go out fairly often, i wouldn't expect yours to last as long as you own the vehicle. not because you can't take care of it...but it has 15 years of previous owners to deal with. if you get it, change the fluid and install an aftermarket transmission cooler immediately. wheel bearings go out like nobodies business...replace and they can easily go out again in less than 1000 miles. read up on why that happens and how to mitigate that. be sure to read up on all of it's quirks, particularly the expensive and recurrent ones.

Would probably help the tranny and diff if you change the oils to synthetic and got a cooler for the transmission.

Actually its the filter thats all important. Cooler is ok, but the problem is the torque converter clutch sheds material and clogs up the factory cooler.

At this mileage if its AWD i seriosuly doubt it still has the original tranny. If its 2 wd they didnt suffer from the same issues.

nipper

The guy says it had a new trans 10k ago. I'll ask him about the bearings as well. heres the listing:http://tinyurl.com/2olgu9

Ask him who replaced the transmission, There are fix kits out there that solve the problem. at 10,000 miles its is usuable by installing an inline filter and chainging the filter at the next oilchange (see how full it is). Also the cooler would be a very good idea.

pretty car.

nipper

Welcome to the world of SVX ownership!!!!

I have the same SVX model with 312k miles on it:)

Love my SVX and take care of everything I can myself.

I got mine at 90k miles 6 years ago.

Yours looks so much better than mine!!! I am jealous

It is a great highway car.

Transmission problems?

I drop the pan and drain, flush the screen filter and change the external filter and clean that magnet off every year, about 30k miles. I have an external cooler that I use in the summer. No problems with the 4EAT other then the rear transfer solenoid valve. The rear wheels were not working.

Rear Bearings?

I haven’t touched them. I think the problem is that when a press is used to assembly the pre-load is too high and bearings fail early from this. Similar to the problem on newer Subies and the change to doing the bearing on the car in my opinion. Can’t preload the bearing too much with a power screw press.

Take care,

John