Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wipers won't work?

Yes I've tried to search but did'nt find anything...

Car -88 Superstation EA82.

Anyway, front wipers don't work. Fuse is ok. Question is what to check next. Is there any relay and where? If that is ok (when I find it) how the h*ll do I get the wiperengines out? Do I need to take apart the whole car/dashboard?

But the relay is most important to find out so I can measure and check that it's ok!

Have a nice day!:)

If I remember correctly I don't think there is a relay for the wiper circuit. Unfortunatly I don't have my data close by to check that for sure. I may be wrong. One thing you could do is to check for voltage getting to any of the wires at the plug for the motor. If there is some voltage there then the motor is most likely bad.

I may be thinking of the intermitant wiper relay.

my GL-10 may have a different setup entirely, with variable intermittents, but my wipers would work OK on low and high speed with the "relay" that attaches to the plastic "over-your-feet" trim piece under the steering wheel. Without it plugged in, my only problem was that they would not "park" at the right point on my windshield; they just stopped where they were when I turned the switch off.

I do not know if a blown or bad relay, plugged in, could cause total failure; but with the unit simply unplugged it should work fine.

my only problem was that they would not "park" at the right point on my windshield; they just stopped where they were when I turned the switch off.

Thats my second biggest complaint with the hatch. STD model with no itermittant speed at all... The first is I NEED a tach....

Any way back to topic...

Hmm, now I'll have to dissapoint all of youand your tips and add a new one that worked for me!

When I unplugged the contact to the engine to measure if the voltage was there I noticed a white layer on all contactsurfaces. Sprayed a little electrocleaner, and turned on the wipers and VOILA!!!:clap:

Now they all work fine, but I'll have to thank all of you for the fast and great help. I didn't even knew where the wiperengine were before.

SO BIG THANKS AND CASE CLOSED:clap: :clap::burnout:

• 11 years later...
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2007 at 1:18 PM, hooziewhatsit said:

Another fix I've had to do a few times is to add another ground from the wiper motor to the car body.

To test it, just run a jumper wire from the small Black/yellow wire on the motor, to somewhere on the body (yes, jumper cables will work if that's all you have).

THIS!!!

I've been ignoring the non-op wipers on my RX-RA for the last two years.  No blown fuses, damaged wiring or broken components.  Turns out that adding that new ground wire from the wiper motor body to the vehicle's chassis fixed the wipers.  Who would have guessed...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...