Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Impreza Fuel pump not working

I am working on a 93 subaru Impreza. There is no fuel pressure. it is a 1.8 with an in tank fuel pump. At the 4 pin connector on the fuel pump there is 5 volts, two grounds, and one that is dead. I jumped from a hot line to the dead line and the fuel pump began to run. I followed the line all the way up through the dash, no breaks. I dont know where the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump fuse are. Could it be a bad relay? nothing in this car is labeled as far as relays and fuses. No numbers, no id plates. Any ideas are much appreciated.

I don't know where the fuel pump relay

I would suspect it is in the same place (and colour coded) the same as a Legacy:

http://autorepair.about.com/library/illustrations/bl081a-lib.htm

Could it be a bad relay?

They are in a bad spot if the windshield, side window, and, if equipped, sun roof leak.

There is a fuse but I don't know which one.

The ignition switch does a two function fuel pump feed, start/run, check the ignition switch.

I'm almost sure it is hooked into the engine computer, and depending on the market, there is a collision shut down.

You *really* need a wiring diagram.

Alright, here is where i stand. I found the relay, it is good. However at the relay the signal wire to switch the relay over is not getting a ground. I probed the wire and grounded it and the fuel pump kicked right on. So i am assuming that the ecm is not giving it a ground? i dont know where the ecm is located, any one know? Also is there a rollover switch on this thing or security? I am thinking if the rollover switch is bad, or the security is locked out, maybe it tells the ecm not to give the fuel pump a ground, there fore not allowing the fuel pump to run. I really hope it is not a bad computer. thanks everybody.

You need to check the ECU for any codes that may be causing the ECU to shut down the pump. Look for the ECU by the steering column or possibly on the passenger side under the dash. Look for a metal box about 5 inches square and 1 inch high with connectors going to one side of it. There should be a small hole in one of the sides that you can count the pulses of any error codes. Long flashes are tens and short ones are single digits. Two long flashes followed by three short ones would be 23.

How Dirty are the connectings, Voltage is pressure and if you have a very poor connection some where it very well might not be getting enough voltage through it, I dont think it could be a fuse because it is getting 5volts, and a relay has to be working because again it is getting voltage, just not enough. so Check for pinched wireing or loose connections along the wire.