Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza Dual Range Transmission

ktsubaru

Since some people are interested in Dual Range Transmission, I did some research on it and I want to know if I understand the thing right,

In Sep 1994, Impreza C model ( whenever they change the model slightly, Subaru Japan changes the model code such as GC8A, GC8B, GC8C, over there)

they installed "Double Cone Synchronized Gear" on the second gear. On WRX type RA in JDM, they installed that gear on the third gear

In Sep 1996, they installed the same one on the third gear in all the JDM turbo models (model Code GC8D)

Let me know if I'm right or wrong in understanding what you guys mean by "Dual Range Transmission":)

Wrong.

Dual range 4wd. Remains front wheel drive untill you pull a lever. It has selectable 4wd hi and 4wd low ranges. You will have better luck sourcing these through the legacy lineup.

Think of what the older subaru's have. These guys aren't wanting these for speed or power holding capability. They want them for the off-road.

If thats what they call it then it sound right by their terms. Been doing some more reading on the site I linked up. Either I'm wrong about them being fwd normal, or some aussie terminology confuses me. But either way, it sounds like you've got the idea of what these guys want now.

If thats what they call it then it sound right by their terms. Been doing some more reading on the site I linked up. Either I'm wrong about them being fwd normal, or some aussie terminology confuses me. But either way, it sounds like you've got the idea of what these guys want now.

Okay, so I will check with exporters in Japan if they can find 'em.

what I saw in Japan for Legacys are lots of full time AWDs.... hope I can find them.

I think it's called Dual-Range AWD everywhere... it can be identified by the extra dual-range lever near the parking break... probably only available with the 5-speed (5MT)...

you can see it in the interior shots here...

an article from the UK talks about one in the 2007 model...

and here's a good pic from the italian subaru site...

I have no idea why they didn't import these into the US as everybody seems to want them...

--Spiffy

that's an EA series vehicle... the dual-range AWD that the US didn't get is on the EJ series vehicles... mostly people want to mate the EJ22 and EJ25 engines to a newer generation transmission... in the US they got rid of the dual-range with the EA series (loyale) and none of the newer models (1990+ legacy/impreza) have dual-range...

--Spiffy

Well, this vehicle is 1986 model and the car needs to be disassembled in order to make it legal to import to USA, however, it is dual-range AWD and I guess the car has some way some of u guys can make good use out of it, such as engines etc.....

http://auction.goo-net.com/item/show/22485

the EJ D/Rs were full-time. they have the same center diff as any other EJ AWD subaru, but have a low range gearset on the input shaft before any of the other gears, and right above the front diff.

on EA cars, it has a mechanical linkage that pushes the lever to engage it

on EJ ones, it's a vacuum solenoid.

I believe they're most commonly found on the Liberty GX

I got info from Subaru dealership in Japan:

1.Dual Range Transmission:

Available on JDM BH model Legacy "Lancaster" and JDM forester SF5 model. Both in 5spd only.

Some export models (export from Japan) of Legacy BP/BL have dual range transmission.

e001243_img.jpg?BCVITuGBCiT1LgZ7

Some export models (export from Japan) of Legacy BP/BL have dual range transmission.

e001243_img.jpg?BCVITuGBCiT1LgZ7

never heard of a BP/BL....maybe the Liberty GX that I was referring to? EDIT: nevermind, BP/BL is the '05+ legacy

and your link/img didn't work.

the ones we're talking about were in early '90s cars. pretty sure just BC/BJ/BFs.

EDIT AGAIN: according to Wikipedia, just the European and British Wagons got the D/R tranny....but I know they got them in Australia too.

never heard of a BP/BL....maybe the Liberty GX that I was referring to? EDIT: nevermind, BP/BL is the '05+ legacy

and your link/img didn't work.

the ones we're talking about were in early '90s cars. pretty sure just BC/BJ/BFs.

EDIT AGAIN: according to Wikipedia, just the European and British Wagons got the D/R tranny....but I know they got them in Australia too.

I'm able to get hold of Subaru Export Dept in Japan and I am discussing about dual range transimission. Give me a few days to give u guys the info such as availability, price, etc...

I just got an E-mail from Subaru Japan export team, and they can supply dual range transmission to here :banana:

I’m modifying my post here.

I think it's almost impossible to find out the parts number of that transmissions. Instead, I bet Subaru Japan can search for it if we can give them in what vehiles ( year and model) do they have dual range transmissons, then they can look up the parts info.

• 2 weeks later...
as if a part number was that easy to get :-\

I'm looking....

we don't even really need the part number, if you can give us specific information on the original vehicle this transmission was installed in or some leads on helping us find the part numbers then we can get closer to a quote.

we don't even really need the part number, if you can give us specific information on the original vehicle this transmission was installed in or some leads on helping us find the part numbers then we can get closer to a quote.

'90-'94 Liberty GXs, like I said above. possibly only available in European, British, and Australian markets (not japanese...).

Nearly every subaru I saw in England had a dual range AWD transmission. It is normal AWD, with a viscous center differential, but it has a hi/lo range selector lever next to the handbrake. It's a setup that's been used from 1990-at least 2005 was the newest impresa wagon I saw with it.

The ones out of the 1.8 turbo EA18 cars are worthless, we've already goth them here.

i got a reply from Subaru Japan.

JDM Subaru has dual range transmission on Subaru Forester Yr96 to 02 models.

Legacys - Subaru export dept doesn't release the export items non officially, so it is hard for them to release those Liberty parts to individuals.

If Forester dual range transmission fits into your vehicles, I will ask the quote to subaru.