Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I can't get my rear differential plugs out. I don't want to spend any more time on it. Going to take it in. What should I expect to pay for a drain and fill?

what are you using to get them out? being a CA car, shouldn't be too much rust/corrosion.

I can't get my rear differential plugs out.

Once upon a time mine were super tight too. Couldn't break them loose by hand. So I got a 1/2" drive breaker bar, 14" long, and rigged the car jack under it. Nice even pressure and the plugs quickly started to loosen. Just had to keep changing the blocking under the jack to keep the pressure as perpendicular to the breaker bar as possible--lotta force there, could be dangerous if it slipped.

I used a breaker bar, wd40, pb blast, put a 3 ton floor jack under the breaker bar and all it didn't do anything but start to move the car up in the air. The funny thing is I removed these 36k miles ago to change the gear oil myself and torqued it down. I do take the car up in the snow in the winter. Anyway, I figure its worth it to let someone else get them out.

i asked a shop to loosen mine for me so i could do it myself. they didn't charge me. but now i'd do what you said, just pay a few dollars to have it done. that's very odd that the jack under the handle didn't get it loose. i'd bet it wasn't perpendicular or was bending too much, that is bizarre for it be that tight.