Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone wheel a classic?

WoodsWagon

I've been playing around with a 71 Ford bronco, converted it from a wagon to a half-cab pickup body. Slowly turning from beat ranch truck to sweet looking rig.

DSCF0625.JPGDSCF0626.JPG

Out on the ranch in Wyoming.

The old V8 in 4lo can really push the truck.

I wont even touch one. A guy I used to know and ride with, had 3 of them. He rolled them all, killing one friend. Thank god he never did it with me:-\

Yeah, there's nothing there in the way of strength for rollover protection. Just enough metal to trap you in the cab and sardine can you as it does roll.

We have a rollbar that's going on soon. It needs some cleanup, a bit of welding and chopping, but it should help. It sits on the bedrails, so it's no better a rollbar than the average CJ rollbar, but it should help support the cab some.

The key is to not roll. It's a classic, and getting rare, so rolling one is a waste.

I put a duraspark II ignition into it, wow what a difference. Before, when you started it up, and it took some doing, you would have to wait untill it was warmed up to even free-rev it. Now, you start it and it's good to go driving right off the bat. Cool thing about V8's is how low you can lug them without stalling.

I've been playing around with a 71 Ford bronco, converted it from a wagon to a half-cab pickup body. Slowly turning from beat ranch truck to sweet looking rig.

DSCF0625.JPGDSCF0626.JPG

Out on the ranch in Wyoming.

The old V8 in 4lo can really push the truck.

what area of wyoming you in

i'm am gettting a 72 blazer that i'm going to start working on as soon as my toyota is done(like that is ever gonna happen)

• 2 weeks later...

When did all the freaks from wyoming come out of the woodwork? Other than a couple way out east, i thought i was the only one...effin californians moving into my secret hide away.. :shotgun: :ammo:

I have a '72 Jeep J-4000 (old school commanche...i.e. truck) that i wheel. I lit her on fire earlier this year, but it was just a gas fire on top of the motor. I stripped everything and set it up like one of my derby cars...which has led to me finding a truck demo derby that i will be driving it in. I know it is sad to kill a classic, but i don't really care. This derby will be a blast, and with any luck, i will be bringing her home after all is said and done, and i will still take her up into the woods. You got to love fully boxed frames for tuff factor.

I also have a '79 Blazer that needs a motor. This truck will become my full time wheeler after the jeep. The blazer is way more comfortable than the jeep to drive. I want to find a big block power house for it, but i may have to settle with a chevy 350. hell...maybe i'll drop that amc 360 from the jeep into it...lol

We need to get a Wyoming meet going on. Maybe go do some wheeling if you guys can get your rigs here.

subynut...wyoming sucks...no one lives here, and the women out here have more chest hair than you ever thought possible. move here at your own risk. j/k man, come on out...bring your parka and snow shovel.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Latest pic. It's beautiful. Or mabe I just have an unhealthy obsession with it?

100_2189.jpg

I'm building an engine for it this spring. 71 302 block, 96 GT40 heads, flat top pistons, and new bearings and seals. Summit cam, duration: 262/272, Lift .448/.472, should be good for low end. The engine will spend it's life at 6k+ feet altitude, so easy breathing and high compression is a must.

Once it's built, I'll throw it and a subie 3at in the back of my Tacoma, drive it out there, swap up the motor in the Bronco, and the tranny in my 86 T-wagon, and bring that home.

It'll be a couple of years before I live out in Wyo. Not sure how many Honda dealerships there are out there that are hiring. Best get my resume filled in a bit more before making the leap.

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...

i used to wheel my 75 scout it evolved in to a expo rig and blue up out in the middle of nowhere and is now undergoing a motor swap out with the 392 gas pig torque monster and in with a fresh 6.5 chevy turbo diesel theres no way it will compare to the old gas pig but there very cheap head gaskets are easy to change out and did i mention there cheap realy cheap and should put me in the 18-20 mpg range and should tow the suby with out any problems as soon as its up and running it will become my daily driver and the subys will become the toys the suby make the local ohv parks a challenge where the scout just make it look like another dirt road also my complaint with the hummer h1 i had the oppertunity to wheel attachment.php?attachmentid=65923&d=1329622834

Edited by ferp420

• 5 months later...