Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bumpity Squeek Squeek (Shocks?)

Whenever I go over a speed bump at low speed, it seems the front end of my car likes to squeek, as it bounds over it. I have noticed that it increases in intensity when the weather outside is cold. Is this a lubrication issue that I could fix easily myself? Or is this a whole shock/spring/something I don't know about job?

I had a similar problem several years ago on a Ford. I traced the annoying squeek to a rubber suspension bushing.

That bushing was supporting one of the rod-type suspension components, and squeeked when the rod rotated slightly inside it. If I remember correctly, the squeek was worse in dry cold weather.

Once I had located the problem, a simple squirt of WD-40 was all that was required to silence the squeek.

I have no idea whether Subarus have this type of rubber suspension bushing. But it is worth a quick look underneath; try bouncing the stationary car up and down and see what happens.

Good luck! These squeeks can be infuriating.

Originally posted by EOppegaard

When I bounce the car by pushing on it, nothing happens, it only seems to do it when I go over a bump.

Could be the sway bar bushing or end links. This is an extremely common Subaru issue.... not expensive to fix though.

Try this to confirm sway bar bushing noise:

Drive slow and straight over a speed bump with both wheels, note the noise or lack of noise.

Drive slow and straight over a speed bump with ONE wheel, note the noise.

If the noise is present, or more pronounced when only one wheels goes over the speed bump, the sway bar bushings/end links are the most likely culprit.

Other front end noises on Subaru's include:

steering rack clunk, a slight clunk is normal for all Subaru's, a severe clunk is NOT normal.

Spring/strut, is the rubber spring cup in place and undamaged?

worn out ball joints

worn motor/transmission mounts

worn out tie rods (somewhat rare)

worn out control arm bushings (somewhat rare)

battery no tied down and other things of the like, look for anything loose underhood and under the car.

Since your car is bounding your struts could be worn out, I found that the rear struts on my 93 Legacy fail first. If you are on the original struts, they most likely need attention (along with the sway bar). KYB GR2 struts are a good aftermarket alternative strut for your vehicle.

Originally posted by Ma-fia

Speaking of sway bars -- a stupid question: do sway bars go bad?

They do weaken over time causing a little more body roll than when new.

This following post deals with a broken one, which is a very rare occurence:

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7436

So I guess you could say they go bad....