Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok Blu needs a modified air intake. I dont buy into a lot of the mumbo jumbo on the after market systems ( being an automotive engineer alot of it is bunk). I am seeing prices from 5.00 - 250.00. The only thing I have read so far and agree with is if I get one off ebay, is to throw out the filter that comes with it and get a real (non chineese) filter.

My questions:

What is the difference between a K and N unit (or some other name brand) then ebay?

Are the non-oil filters available

ANy recomnedations?

nipper

Amsoil has a line of non-oiled air filters, including those conical cold air intake styles. Maybe you could hook somethign like that up to the intake with some flex hose.

I used this 3" id flex hose stuff from mcmaster.com for intake air tube and it's been working great and is real easy to just flex to fit. It also has a smooth inner diameter; it's not corrugated. 3" id is a little big, but 2.5" I didn't know if it would fit my tube.

It's 5915T181 from mcmaster.com catalog page 200, I have some pics at home if interested.

Is there something wrong with the stock system?

The stock filter flows more than enough air for the motor, and while aftermarket ones such as K&N do flow more air, they also let more dirt into the motor.

They also draw cool air from the fender. There are some cheap ebay piping systems that should work with the stock air box, which could be worth trying.

With the lift kit the stock airbox no longer bolts where it is supposed too. I only took a quick look at the car, but I do agree it cant stay that way for very long.

Trust me im an engineer, i know the stock system is fine, but the car is not at stock height anymore. The problem is the airbox over the engine.

nipper

The problem is the two ears on the black box ontop of the throttle body. Tchnically i can keep the factory air filter, i just need to rid myself of the big box, get the air to that part of the engine, with something with a 90 degree bend in it.

nipper

I picked up 2.5 inch, 90 degree rubber elbows (~$7 ea. from www.intakehoses.com) for a project on my Triumph TR8, but will be using a few and some 2.5 inch exhaust pipe to eliminate all of the junk, loosely fit piping between the near radiator fresh air intake and the factory airbox. Instant and inexpensive cold air intake needing only one attachement point for support.

My point is that 2.5 inch fittings will match up with the metric intake to allow for cheap and easy fitting.

Jack

BTW - my 3.5 liter Triumph/Rover engine also has a 2.5 inch intake tract, so it's definitely big enough for the Subie, although the Triumph redlines at 6k.

How about the intake hose from a 95, before they put the airbox on it? I've got a 95 I'm going to start parting out and it has that hose.

Hold onto that untill i get Blu back home, i can take some measurements, i like that idea.

nipper

Hold onto that untill i get Blu back home, i can take some measurements, i like that idea.

nipper

I'm quite sure it would work. Its similar to what I was speaking of. Except the 95 would fit the maf correctly withough having to change the box.

Yep, absolutely. Can you be a little bit patient? The car is still sitting dead at the shop and I need to to pay them for the timing belt they put on there before I start taking parts off of it.

And I need to figure a scheme to get it towed home without costing an arm and a leg.

am i the only one that is seriously bothered by the function of that big air box? i've always wondered what that stupid thing is for? and...while we're on the EJ intakes, how about that dead space that some have, that 45 angled pipe that just ends after 6 inches, what is THAT for too?

I think those dead spaces may be to silence intake noise and/or tune the intake somewhat for Helmholtz resonance. The stock intake tubing does reduce intake noise it would seem. When I routed that flex hose into the fender, sheesh the thing sounded like it had one of those ricer mufflers on it. Routed into that plastic intake scoop thing is better but still noisier than the stock intake tubing.

am i the only one that is seriously bothered by the function of that big air box? i've always wondered what that stupid thing is for? and...while we're on the EJ intakes, how about that dead space that some have, that 45 angled pipe that just ends after 6 inches, what is THAT for too?

There are EPA standards for drive by noise on cars that are being enforced (yuck). All those dangly bits, hidden boxes, big boxy things all serve this purpose.

nipper

You're right ideally smooth is desired. I just wanted something that was flexible so I could route it quickly where I wanted and cut to length easily.

The pic exagerates the ribbiness. The id is actually fairly smooth. Most flexible tubing like dryer hose duct is super ribby. This tubing is 3"id which should be adequate....