Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone run subies in baja?

subyrally

just watched a movie about the baja 1000, dust to glory, and it got me thinking, has anyone run a subaru in that race? i know that there are classes for everything from dirt bikes and trophy trucks to bone stock vw bugs, makes me think about what it would take to get a suby into the race and what it would take to finish. kinda think it would be fun.

Well yes there is. Last years 1000 had 2 sti in it. I think the one made it like 200+ mile before problems. I used to be big into the off road baja trucks. I still have friends that race their trucks, but i am now going to build a rally car. I just picked up a 1986 gl hatchback in really good shape for the age for $500. I have built a few roll cages now and i am going to pick up a rally america rule book and start taring in apart.

you can dl, the rule book in pdf format from rally america/ its thick. just make sure that you follow the rules to thel etter when building hte car and get your liscences. i think they make you start with club rally whih is n/a fwd cars or something like that. kinda like in a video game, you have to rank up before you unlock the good stuff:lol: i wanted to build a rally car and try to compete, but i never had the money for it and then there was the whole getting the liscencing to race. but i think i am going to try again once im done with cancer and that bs. but i think that i am going to try to do something like baja, just to say that i tried, dont even car if im in the top 200, i just want to try to finish. as long as i can say that i honestly tried, thats all that matters to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly baja, but since you mentioned looking for old RX rally footage in that other thread...

Last night night I came across footage of the RX running the 1986 Safari Rally. Search You Tube for "1986 Safari Rally." Of course Lancia and Toyota were the big money teams so they got all the glam shots but there is some footage of the RX.

sweet, thanks.

Not exactly baja, but since you mentioned looking for old RX rally footage in that other thread...

Last night night I came across footage of the RX running the 1986 Safari Rally. Search You Tube for "1986 Safari Rally." Of course Lancia and Toyota were the big money teams so they got all the glam shots but there is some footage of the RX.

• 4 months later...
I'm watching the 40th anniversery Baha 1000 on the telly right now. There are a lot of old bug out running that thing. I think a Subby could/should do it!!!! Race looks like a total blast :headbang: . Later, Tim

\

thats what im sayin man. with some beefed up suspension, i dont see why a suby wouldnt have a chance.

\

thats what im sayin man. with some beefed up suspension, i dont see why a suby wouldnt have a chance.

I don't even think you'd have to do to much modding. Of course you wouldn't finish in 30 hours either, just take your time and make the car last.

I don't even think you'd have to do to much modding. Of course you wouldn't finish in 30 hours either, just take your time and make the car last.

the way i see it, it would be fun as hell, but i figure that if i can beat cancer, then whats stopping me from tryin to finish a race? well, other than not having a car to compete with, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
sounds interesting, got any details? or better yet, pics?

Nothing special, at all. Just trying to keep it stock-ish. Waiting for my rule book to arrive it's taking forever.

Just want to participate in the stock class and see if I can finish. The major thing holding me back from going is logisitics.

I want to use my EA81 wagon.

Johnson']Nothing special' date=' at all. Just trying to keep it stock-ish. Waiting for my rule book to arrive it's taking forever.

Just want to participate in the stock class and see if I can finish. The major thing holding me back from going is logisitics.

I want to use my EA81 wagon.[/quote']

with enough lead time, I could get some of the So Cal people to help. I might be able to do support/pit work for you as well.

Suspension is going to be one of the biggest factor. Take a look at some of the Baja videos and you can see those care bouncing around like mad.

Another factor will be the class. There are time limits for finishing. There is a series in Nevada called Best in the Desert, BITD. Their rule book is downloadable and similar to SCORE.

You might also want to consider participating in a US desert race first and get a taste of what's in store.

BW