Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I put a Toyota build thread on a Subaru message Board?

TheSubaruJunkie

Yeah, okay... you talked me into it! :)

So, im making progress. Figured I would share with some friends here.

This is what it looked like the day I bought it:

DSC01103.jpg

Its a 1986 Toyota SR5 Cab on a 1984 4WD Frame. It has the carburated 22R, solid front and rear axles. 5 speed dual range manual 4WD transmission. 3" lift, and came with 29" Super Swamper TSL/SX.

A few wheelin trips, and I realized even tho they are swampers, the tiny 29" (hah... 29" being tiny... woah, reality check) Swampers just weren't going to hang. I was having trouble climbing some rocks and ledges, using more clutch than I'd like to. So I was surfing Pirate4X4 and found a set of used (very used) 33" tires for $50. Couldnt pass up the price, and they have enough tread on them to last at least this season... if not next.

I put the truck on its side a couple times. And I got tired of putting the shell back on over and over again, so I removed the shell and kept it off.

l_0ebdfdf90dc574c6369b6b806a31a3b6.jpg

The front bumper is some smittybuilt piece of crap. Looks like 3" tubing, and the previous owner cut about 6" off each end to keep it from protecting the side of my truck. A co-worker/buddy of mine with a '82 Yota bought a tube bender, and he has a welder and only lives 1/2 a mile from me. He had a section of 2x4 square tube left as scrap steel, so I took 2 sections and welded them together to create the bumper itself. Then it was a matter of bending some tube and comming up with something that looked like it would help protect me on the trail.

l_a9cefd93f5f6e952502f27c6ff861f88.jpg

l_6394ac25e62de37e46bf79aa404fe615.jpg

This is just a 1st step. The next step is to come off the hoop and go over the headlights, then I will follow the fender down to the nerf bars. Hoping to have that taken care of in the next week.

Then Modifications in chronological order:

1) 63" Chevy Rear Springs (got em, just waiting to finish the bumper)

2) HySteer Conversion

3) Dual Transfercases (already have the case, just need the kit)

4) uhm... probably something really expensive.

-Brian

let the cry babies be cry babies. it's in the right forum. they are just jealous about your awesome toyota!! otherwise they wouldn't lurk in this section. :lol: i like it! bumper is coming along! so when you coming up to run reiter trails, the moon rocks or funny rocks?

let the cry babies be cry babies. it's in the right forum. they are just jealous about your awesome toyota!! otherwise they wouldn't lurk in this section. :lol:

Dang you caught me! hehe

Subaru's are good for logging trails and snow. Toyota's will eat up just about anything else. Build it Brian!

Working on my buddies exo right now. Then we will finish up on my truck. Im going to order my hysteer kit, hopefully have that in before next weekend.

Going to spend the weekend up at the rubicon. Probably wont run the entire trail, just camp at the entrance and play around for a couple days.

-Brian

Going to spend the weekend up at the rubicon. Probably wont run the entire trail, just camp at the entrance and play around for a couple days.

-Brian

So uh. . . pics or what? :burnout:

And what's up with your already putting it on its side 2 times? lol I've (knock on wood) kept mine wheels side down, although I've wheeled it a bunch in the 2 years I've owned it.

And what's up with your already putting it on its side 2 times? lol I've (knock on wood) kept mine wheels side down, although I've wheeled it a bunch in the 2 years I've owned it.

I was going to give him some sh***¡t about that as well... I guess he just got used to subaru's low center of gravity...

subarus spoil you!

--Spiffy

Well the 1st time i put it on its side was an accident. Was trying to straddle a pretty deep rut, had my passenger side tires on a wall, rut under me, and my drivers tires on the edge of the rut. I drove into the rut, drivers side tires fell in, and the truck went onto its side:

l_127fde5e16efd44f4cabaad6dc65bfbf.jpg

It was so much fun, i had to do it again! The 2nd time was on purpose. I found a good spot, the camera man was rollin tape, so I picked my line and braced myself. The footage is in the video's forum.

The rubicon trip is on hold. This weekend (Aug 18/19) we were planning to do it. But the FOTR (Friends of the Rubicon) are planning a trail cleanup that weekend... and they will be cleaning the Wentworth Springs Campground entrance. THe very campground we planned on staying at.

So then we planned on running Deer Valley, but it turns out the Sierra Hi/Lo's are doing their annual Poker Run there this weekend... so we are going to run another local trail in Strawberry instead.

Hoping to have pictures, maybe even footage. I got my Hysteer kit today and started installing it. Tomorrow I have to mount the IFS box and weld the bracket in place. Then if i can find the time I'd like to mount my onboard air, but other than that im itchin and (almost) ready to go!

-Brian

I was going to give him some sh***¡t about that as well... I guess he just got used to subaru's low center of gravity...

subarus spoil you!

--Spiffy

After seeing that pic, I've got a feeling that the most lowered soob in the world would have gone on its side or worse.

Cool pic Brian. Wentworth Springs is the way we entered.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice progress Brian. I managed to get the welder and the welded rear diff into mine. Working on the ARB setup from the Brat swapped over. I was going to mention that I liked my Smittybuilt front bumper. But mine has the wrap around still. I use it quite a bit to rub banks and roots. The 29's were definitely too small.

I woulda liked my smittybuilt better if the prev owner didnt hack it. Ive seen a few of them on craigslist for under $100 and was thinking of getting another to replace the old one. But then i bought steel and decided to come up with my own bumper. When i can afford it, i wanna buy another 40' of steel and finish the cage.

Right now, the toyota is on hold while I get some stuff for the Legacy (GR2's, Tires, brakes).

Next up for the Yota will be the 4.7:1 transfercase gears.

-Brian

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...