Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need help!! engine noise problem!!

Guest pat1234

When in neutral and I slowly give it some gas I eventually get a clattering noise like the dreaded piston slap but much louder.

If also does it when I floor it from a stopped position. It also does it on the highway usually starting at 90 km/h at a certain rpm.... when it makes the noise and I let go on the gas pedal it stop.

I listened to it under the hood when someone slowly gave it some gas and it seems to come from the top of the engine... almost like a clicking/slaping sound.

The car run fine, except for the noise!

I have a 97 legacy gt with 97,000 KM

Thanks

Pat

Guest pat1234

just had the car checked...they say I had a broken crankshaft and that I needed a new motor! What a bad day...... only 96,000km on it!

The dealer recommended I call SUBARU and see what they could do for me....probably not much!

Is this normal to break the crankshaft at such mileage and that it requires a whole new motor?

They told me that it could be a few days to a few weeks before it seizes...I have a road trip planned for next week........new 2004 subbie...thinking about it!

comments??

Guest Setright

Sounds like piston slap - it can seem very loud. If the engine pulls well, and you don't have any other signs of a malfunction (excessive oil or fuel consumption) piston slap is most likely.

If it is very loud, and causes vibration, it is likely to be an igntion timing fault. Firing too early causes the flamefront to collide with the piston while its still on the way up. Sounds like someone is banging on the engine block with a hammer.

Emil

Guest pat1234

I will get a 2nd indep. garage to check it. It is very looud hammering, knocking noise and in neutral it starts at about 3000 rpm. On the highway it does it at a particular speed and rpm...when it happens I give it some more gas and it stops or I let go of the gas and it stops. When I go from drive to 3rd (automatic) it does it also.

It does not vibrate or consume more oil than usual. It runs great other than the nois!

Anyone know what a broken crankshaft would do/sound like?

Anyone else....opinions/comments? Think a new motor is due??

The only inexpensive alternative I can think of is a bad cam belt tensionner.

Posters have described the sound it makes as something resembling what you're describing.

Maybe worth exploring.

A broken crankshaft is possible but it's the first time I read of something like that and I've been here and on alt.autos.subaru for three years.

Guest pat1234

I just started a new topic for this problem called... broken crankshaft... feel free to post under this one as well

thanks

pat