Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy spare tire question

Guest lothar34

I was thinking about getting another Forester next Summer, but I'd rather have a Legacy wagon since there's more room in the back and there'd be space for my stereo stuff under the rear floor. The Forester has a full-size spare under the cargo area, so I had to put my amps under the front seats. I just looked at a picture of the Legacy wagon, and I can't see the spare. It doesn't look like it's behind the wheel well.

So where is it? Edmunds says it has a space-saver spare. Isn't it supposed to be the same size as the others to keep the AWD system from screwing up? Or does it just have to be the same height? Eh?

Also, I might just hold out for an '05 wagon. Has anybody heard for sure if it'll get a turbo 2.5L and what kind out output it might have?

Thanks.

Guest lothar34

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr> Spare is in the same place as the Forester.

In the picture on Subaru's website it shows 4 compartments under the floor, and no spare in sight. Unless it's very thin and is under those compartments. I probably should've pointed out too that I was looking at the wagon.

Guest Sweet82

My Forester Spare is full size! I think the space saver spares are the same diameter they are just all rim and no rubber.

I was looking at the Legacy wagon too, but I found that it was only 1 cubic foot bigger than the Forester. One cubic foot spread over the width of the car is probably an inch of two of length? Not that big of deal in my mind.

Price made my deci$ion:smokin:

For What It's Worth,

Glenn

82 Hatch-Off-Road Vehicle:evil:

01 Forester The price was right;)

Guest TinyClark

My Legacy has a tray that sits on top of the compact spare. I'm sure you could put a full size tire in there and take the tray out, but why bother.

My tray is deep enough that it holds a DIN size radio, so you could use that space for amps. Heat buildup might be a problem...

Guest lothar34

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>My tray is deep enough that it holds a DIN size radio, so you could use that space for amps. Heat buildup might be a problem...

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks.

I could find a way around the heat buildup, it's removing the amps to get to the spare that bugs me. I suppose if the wires were long enough though, I could just lift it enough to get the spare out.

I'll just wait 'til they get here for the auto show and look at them then. Hopefully they'll be here. Houston is right after Detroit, and we don't get always get the new cars down here.