Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Made it Home...:)

Well, I and the little Roo made it......Just bairly....

As you all know, I stopped in SLC to chat with Sweet82......Good guy, Love the Bandit......:) Got to get my Project going now.....

Got out of there late Wed. evening, drove thru to Needles Nevada I think....and that was my last place to fuel before hitting a stretch of desert road with no fuel for over 200 miles.

Normally this would be no big deal....But with the little 1600 motor pushing those 27 inch swampers up and down those elevations, it was only getting about 150 miles if I was lucky per tank of fuel.......

So in Needles I get on the ole C.B. and ask the drivers coming in from that Direction if there were any fuel stops between Needles and LakeView Or..

Couple of them say yeah, but its about 180 miles from Needles, and Open days only...... So I buy two, 2 gal gas cans, ( cause nowhere sold 5 gal.cans..??)

Fill everything up and head for the desert.......get to Denio Or., at 2 am on thursday morning.....Place has shut down permanently..........

Theres a sign on the door saying that closest fuel is in Fields Or.,Hrs 8am-5pm Rain or shine..... Pop. of 11 on a good day........:confused:

Fields is 30 miles up a road in the wrong direction..........:banghead:

But no Choice, cause Not enough fuel to get anywhere else....

So I tootle towards Fields, And as I am driving I notice there are Very brite white Snow capped peaks all around me, Due to the Moon being out and very cold........So I see a dirt trail heading off towards one and Figure I may as well go sleep close to the Mountain, cause I got to wait for fuel to get up in the morning.......

After an hr. of meandering through washes and Gullies and Climbing almost 2500 feet of elevation , I came to the end near the actual base of a very Nice looking snow cap......shut the Roo down at 3:45 am and fell asleep till almost 8am......Woke up to a very AWESOME sun rise Blasting the mountains, Got some cool pics of the Roo and mountain together......:)

Got to watch nearly 40 Antelope grazing on the way down off the hill, Got fuel, ate a Cowboy breakfast in The Fields Cafe...Came out bloated......

Headed for Bend,Or., and then Home.....

Only other Issue Roo had was Leaving Bend, Throttle started sticking and acting up.....Ended up that the cable had trashed itself inside the sheath, So I had to cut it off, and drove home the last 85 miles using the hand throttle Jarod had installed for off-roading......

All in all it was a good trip.....got to see some Country I don't ever want to see again...

Also got to see some I'd Love to go wheeling in......Oh wait I did wheel some in.....

Also got to meet a few members from the Board that i had only talked to here or on the phone with.....

Now I got to go get all my snow gear ready for the tree run this weekend.....:santa:

Later all, John Back home in Eugene,Oregon.....

Welcome Home John! I made a similar trip back in October. But I was on my 2003 Honda VTX1800C. (my bike has more cc's and more HP and torque than my roo, 1795 cc and about 90 hp and 100 ft/lbs of torque FYI) Went from Portland, OR through NV, at an average of 95 mph, to Tucson, AZ in three days. Made it from PDX to Reno in about 10 hours and from Reno to Vegas in 7. Was in Tucson ,AZ for a week and then came back up through the Grand Canyon, 4 Corners, SLC and Boise. Also a three day return trip. All and all I put about 3700 miles on my azz in a week. One day, from Cortez, CO all the way through SLC to Boise, ID was about 700 miles. That was my longest stretch. All in all I went through 8 states in a week. It was a blast. And I got paid for it. Had to make a trip to our AZ office and I had just bought my bike. So I took that instead of flying. The Plane ticket would have been $304 round trip. Instead my mileage added up to over a grand. So I made money on the deal. SWEET :headbang: Anyhow, glad you made it back all safe and sound. Sorry I am going to miss you guys this weekend. I have a funeral to attend that day and won't be able to make it.

--GoatBoy--

Thanks for your help!

Good to hear "The Guru of Subaru" made it home............ What a drive!

Apparently,.........Little Roo is the little subie that could!:wave:

Glenn,

82 Bandit, the only one in the country.........(make the other....)

01 Forester, with fake the lift.........

i'm glad it all went well. definately can't wait till i can see those pics of my car!! :brow: little roo had to have been in heaven. snow all around her instead of sand. :boohoo: wish i could have joined her. were those pics digi or 35mm??

probably why the throttle went. she was in heaven and she thought you were bringing her back to hell, when you left the snow.

damn mudrat, you've got more balls than i do i guess. i've never taken my roo on a trip. i only got it about four months ago and i just don't feel that she's trip worthy. i know i could make it prett far but it's the gettin back that worries me. i'm gonna travel from here to cheyenne in a few weeks to run some business errands and i'm anxious to see how well m'wagon does

Originally posted by MaroonDuneDoom

damn mudrat, you've got more balls than i do i guess. i've never taken my roo on a trip. i only got it about four months ago and i just don't feel that she's trip worthy. i know i could make it prett far but it's the gettin back that worries me. i'm gonna travel from here to cheyenne in a few weeks to run some business errands and i'm anxious to see how well m'wagon does

I drove mine from WA to TX shortly after putting it together from parts from multiple cars.. what an adventure.

Glad you made it John!. sounds like a fun trip. Can't wait to see the finished product!

they seem pretty reliabe. i thought about driving mine all the way to Eagle Pass, Texas the other day but decided not to because i have never taken it on a road trip. That definitely would have been an adventure. It seems hat a lot of you guys travel everywhere in your soobs. Thats cool, kind of a pride thing it instills in the driver i would imagine. Or some kind of nasty Subaru tapeworm that burrows into your brain and takes over your thoughts.

little roo has been driven on many long trips. a few into montana and back down into idaho to the clearwater national forest. the longest and most strenuous was the trip from washington to yuma,az. that sucker with the trailer and car loaded past the windows. it wieghed around 4200lbs. the trailer was over a thousand pounds!! that was fun. little roo didn't have any problems but the trailer bearings went to hell!! luckily they broke just before i got to mudrat's and i didn't notice them till i was there. almost lost my wheel on the trailer!!