Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Holy Grail of EA82 rear shocks found!

Numbchux

well, I found it, the key to getting virtually any suspension setup for your EA82 subaru....MIATAs!! 1989-1997 miatas use a very simple coilover shock design much like the EA82 rear end.

from left to right. miata rear, EA82 subaru rear, Miata front, BE Legacy rear (which can also be used...read on)

PICT3081.jpg

the key difference, is the upper mount. the subaru ones use a large, rubber bushing in the upper mount. the BE shock is too wide to even fit into the bushing, as well as too short to reach all the way through it.

the miata ones are narrow enough, but still not long enough.

solution? remove the bushing :lol:

PICT3082.jpg

now, the hole in the upper mount is too large (this is an EA82 upper mount minus the bushing on a miata shock):

PICT3085.jpg

so, I went to home depot, and bought a bag of 3/4" flat washers. and sandwiching the upper mount between 4 washers, converted it to a solid mount:

PICT3092.jpg

this same method could be used with BE/BH legacy stuff. also, if I had a welder, I'd weld the washers to the mount.....but I think this'll work fine.

full coilovers (tein or the like) for a newer legacies can be used....but a bushing is required because the lower bolt is smaller on the EA82 than the legacy. not so with miata stuff. the lower bushing fits perfectly on the EA82 trailing arm:

PICT3088.jpg

finished product:

PICT3086.jpg

aftermarket support for NA (chassis code) miatas is virtually endless. so if you can match it with the front (5-lug), you can probably find it for the rear too.

the bad news? Miata shocks have quite a bit less travel. only about 5" compared to the EA82s almost 6.5". and the lengths are a bit less than ideal. at full extension, the Miata rears are about 16" long, and the fronts are about 20" (the same as stock EA82s). I'm using rears here, because I've got the car pretty slammed. but once I go 5-lug, and go to stuff bigger (both wider and taller) tires in there I'll use fronts and only drop the car an inch or so.

also, there isn't a stock spring that'll work easily with this application. so a coilover spring that has it's own upper perch will need to be used. be it cheap ebay ones like I have now, or Ground controls...

I intend to run Ground control springs and KYB AGX shocks all around.

on a side note, I decided to replace the rear brake pads while I had things apart....so I went and bought new pads. while I was driving back from Checker auto parts...I heard a clunk. and when I got home, I found this:

PICT3091.jpg

Good find.

I have a laugh to myself when people complain about there being no aftermarket parts for old subies.. Theres heaps, you just have to find what brand they are made for normally. So many parts off other cars fit Subaru's, guess I should be surprised as they are all just cars after all.

yep, works awesome. just drove up to two harbors (about 45 miles each way....freeway speeds). very smooth ride, these shocks are much more effective at this ride height than my stockers (well....stockers would bottom out on any larger bump).

can't wait to get the AGX's and GCs ordered up :banana:

A couple of questions.

No clunking on bumps from the solid top mount?

And can you post a pic of the car with these on?

absolutely zero clunking (which is awesome considering that my EA82 shocks were bottoming out on every crack in the road).

stock shocks:

PICT3068.jpg

miata shocks:

PICT3090.jpg

same springs. My girlfriend says when I readjusted the springs for the shorter shocks, I made the rear end a bit higher than before. this is as high as the miata rears will allow, so if you want your ride height any higher, use fronts, and I'd go at least 2" higher to avoid bottoming them out.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Ah ha. *climbs out from under the rock*

holy crap, he's alive!!!

on a side note, looking at the first pic in the thread, the legacy shocks look like the mounting points might be an inch shorter than the stock ea82 shock. am i right or is it jus the angle of the pic?

holy crap, he's alive!!!

on a side note, looking at the first pic in the thread, the legacy shocks look like the mounting points might be an inch shorter than the stock ea82 shock. am i right or is it jus the angle of the pic?

yea, that's about right. it's pretty close. that was my original idea, which is why I bought those. but I found out it's not a very close fit, and the aftermarket selection is only slightly better than the EA82 stuff (couple jdm sti things, and tein coilovers....), which is why I kept searching.

but yes, the BE/BH legacy stuff could be used about as easily as the miata stuff.

BUT!!! WJM just sent me a pm about this. apparently he's tried this. BE legacy stuff with a custom solid upper mount. and it became apparent that the top of the shock needs to pivot some. and by removing that rubber bushing, you're making the shock rod flex.

soooo.....any ideas how to allow for some pivot there, without using the bushing.

I was thinking just slot the 2 holes where the upper mount attaches to the car, so it can all be angled a bit towards the front. it wouldn't eliminate the problem entirely, but it would lessen it.

hmmmm, would you happen to have a pic of the stock legacy top mounts? i need to get to the point where i can get ahold of these parts and start figuring things out.

yea, that's about right. it's pretty close. that was my original idea, which is why I bought those. but I found out it's not a very close fit, and the aftermarket selection is only slightly better than the EA82 stuff (couple jdm sti things, and tein coilovers....), which is why I kept searching.

but yes, the BE/BH legacy stuff could be used about as easily as the miata stuff.

BUT!!! WJM just sent me a pm about this. apparently he's tried this. BE legacy stuff with a custom solid upper mount. and it became apparent that the top of the shock needs to pivot some. and by removing that rubber bushing, you're making the shock rod flex.

soooo.....any ideas how to allow for some pivot there, without using the bushing.

I was thinking just slot the 2 holes where the upper mount attaches to the car, so it can all be angled a bit towards the front. it wouldn't eliminate the problem entirely, but it would lessen it.

hmmmm, would you happen to have a pic of the stock legacy top mounts? i need to get to the point where i can get ahold of these parts and start figuring things out.

I don't have a pic, but I have the parts...why? that's the one part that doesn't get used in an EA82 application :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Which shocks are you using Front and rear then?

Where the stock shocks blown as the car doesnt seem much different in ride height from the stock to the miata shocks?

And do you think 17" wheels would still fit in there,By chance? :lol:

With the rolled fenders, right offset and tires, 17s fit easily in the rear.

I have 16s with 205/55/16 on them. I can tuck them way up into the rear fenderwell. I can't go any lower up front without removing the inner fenderwell.

When I kill these tires, I will go a little lower and wider. Then I can crank my suspension down just a little more :D

I'm currently running stock struts with the same adjustable springs that I had on with 4-lug. running Miata REARS (the shorter ones) in the rear, and 92 FWD Legacy fronts. with 215/45r17 tires on +48 17x8 Rota's with about 1/2" of preload on the springs in the rear. virtually zero rubbing with these stiff springs (400lb/in in the rear), but if I go any softer, I'd run the Miata fronts and jack up the ride height.

I'm currently running stock struts with the same adjustable springs that I had on with 4-lug. running Miata REARS (the shorter ones) in the rear, and 92 FWD Legacy fronts. with 215/45r17 tires on +48 17x8 Rota's with about 1/2" of preload on the springs in the rear. virtually zero rubbing with these stiff springs (400lb/in in the rear), but if I go any softer, I'd run the Miata fronts and jack up the ride height.

I am using stock WRX wheels with RE92s on them. Smaller wheel, but a little more rubber. Not sure which way to go. Long ones or short ones. Offset isn't a problem. The tires tuck.. but the fronts rub the inner fenderwells when too low..

springs are 450 front / 350 rear. WRX front struts.

PICT3402.jpg

Is that with the short miata struts and the 17s?

I can go that low.

I am using stock WRX wheels with RE92s on them. Smaller wheel, but a little more rubber. Not sure which way to go. Long ones or short ones. Offset isn't a problem. The tires tuck.. but the fronts rub the inner fenderwells when too low..

springs are 450 front / 350 rear. WRX front struts.

PICT3402.jpg

Is that with the short miata struts and the 17s?

I can go that low.

umm yea i like your car. basically you did what i want to do

Ben

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm currently running stock struts with the same adjustable springs Miata REARS (the shorter ones) in the rear, and 92 FWD Legacy fronts

Ok so let me get this right.

Miata short rear struts with the adjustable coil kit and 92 FWD Legacy Fronts.Do they make a coilover kit for the legacy fronts or are those stock springs you are using in there?

Just found that the 93+ Impreza and the 92 Legacy use the same struts in the front.