Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Legacy wagon/1997 Outback Same Lift Kit?

Would the lift kit I got for my 1997 Outback wagon fit a 1996 Legacy wagon? I purchased a lift kit and struts for an Outback, and now I see a Legacy in much better shape that I can buy. Does anyone know if they share the same components?:confused:

I don't believe there to be any differences in the suspension setup for any 96-99 OB. The only thing that would cause a difference is if one is manual and the other automatic, because the tranny crossmembers are different. But that may be covered in the lift.

The struts interchange. A few of the off-raod guys have lifted their legacy's with outback struts and springs. I think the only real supension differences between the legacy wagon and obw is the strut spring combo, and bigger sway bars on the outback model.

• 9 months later...

Automatic & manual outback struts are the same.

Outback's struts can be fitted on Legacy no problems, but you will need blocks on your rear diff carrier otherwise you'll have negative camber.

You can use legacy's springs or new outback's standard springs - both are same part.

Cheers

AP

Outback's struts can be fitted on Legacy no problems, but you will need blocks on your rear diff carrier otherwise you'll have negative camber.

I used 98 OB struts on a 91 Legacy wagon with no blocks and my camber was fine.

If the lift kit lifts has blocks for the tops of the strut and for the rear crossmember he should end up the same before vs. after the lift.

That is, unless the lift kit has *straight* strut top extensions. They should be angled to match the angle of the unibody mount, so the mounting point goes straight down instead of pointing out.

it's easy to lift a legacy up by putting on outback struts. springs, if the come with used struts make the job easier, but they are the same on outback / legacy. then you can use outback wheels and tires.

now the real question is how, if you can, do you lift an outback?????

any hints??

First you purchase a very hard to find, body lift kit, which I did a year ago. Then you get a very expensive to ship, set of King lift springs from Australia, which I also did. Then get a skid plate, which I did. Now I just need to find the time and money to install it:banghead: Maybe someday:(

There is another way of doing that job -

Is to custom made lift blocks and longer bolts in sections, ie. diff carrier section, trailing arms, front cross member so on, by adding 1-4" blocks there then it'll lift.

You can use King raised springs will give you extra 1 1/2" lift. But I am not sure I think 96-98 Forrester Springs are same as raised springs? I am trying to find out - but hasnt been good.

Cheers

AP

it's easy to lift a legacy up by putting on outback struts. springs, if the come with used struts make the job easier, but they are the same on outback / legacy. then you can use outback wheels and tires.

now the real question is how, if you can, do you lift an outback?????

any hints??

The kit I purchased includes lifts for each strut, lift blocks for all attachment points between the transmission, engine and the body, and a steering extension. This along with taller, stiffer springs, and new struts, gives me the ability to put 29" Super Swampers on my car. Overall I'm guessing I'll end up with 4-5" of lift over a stock Outback, but I won't know until I install everything.:cool: Once my job situation gets settled, I'll get to work on it, hopefully. This is what I hope to end up with. Not sure if this one had the King Springs on it, or just the lift kit and Super Swampers.mad_max2.jpg

• 6 years later...