Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello from a newbie

Hi everyone,

Many, many, many years ago I owned two Subarus - '79 Brat and a '78 4dr. Used to offroad that Brat in stock form at every chance I could!

I've happily returned to Subaru ownership having recently picked up an '87 GL-10 4WD Turbo Waggy that needs a bit of repair. The water inlet pipe needs to be replaced.

I still have to get a manual, but was wondering how labor intensive this is ball park. Weekend job or longer? I rebuilt the Brat engine when I had it and have just finished doing a solid axle swap on my Pathfinder so hopefully the Subaru won't be to hard on this newbie to Subarus! :-)

I did a few searches, but didn't located what I was looking for.

Thanks all.

Well First off Congrats on The New Sube and Welcome To the Forum, there is a lot of information around here and everyone is happy to help.

Are you talking about the Inlet pipe where the Thermostat is? if so im thinking its a very easy fix just take it off and replace it, but maybe im thinking of this the wrong way and your talking about soemthing different.

Originally posted by Scrub2k

Well First off Congrats on The New Sube and Welcome To the Forum, there is a lot of information around here and everyone is happy to help.

Are you talking about the Inlet pipe where the Thermostat is? if so im thinking its a very easy fix just take it off and replace it, but maybe im thinking of this the wrong way and your talking about soemthing different.

Thanks guys,

Before I insert my mint flavored shoes into my mouth, :eek: I'd better take a look at it. I believe what you said is correct. I got the car off my sister-inlaw and haven't seen the problem in person as it's still at their house.

Thanks again for the welcomes. :wave:

chef_tim: Thanks! Great advice.

northguy: Yes, it's been over 10 years since I owned them, but I've always been 'admireing' them. When this opportunity came up, I had to jump on it. The hard part will be resisting the temptation to lift and mod it...:D

I too was in denial for years until the addiction was too much to handle and I fell off the wagon and purchased another 1984 subie wagon(Hence back on the wagon LOL)... And with the latest snow fall I understand why I always return to a subaru..

I just wish I had the knowledge of all the other guys on here when it comes to fixing them... Joe

welcome to the board.

one think to keep in mind with your new subi is that heat is the death off almost all subarus (unless the 4x4 gods find it) dont ever over heat it that is a very big issue with the motor you are about to start working on things to think about are going to be a new dubble core rad and new thermostat. if your going to replace the water outlet pipe at the front of the motor might as well replace the water pump and do the seals on the front.

im not relly trying to scare you im just trying to throw you a curve now so that when your subaru dos it wont surprise you. oh btw they are grate cars loveem all even the turbos.