Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ transmission necessary?

skinnyhb

alright, i have a dead 89 GL wagon D/R 5 speed. i'd like to put a local EJ22T that i found in the car, and perhaps build up the engine a bit. i'm guessing the EA transmission is going to be put under quite a bit of strain by the larger engine. the donor EJ car has an automatic awd transmission. is the AWD Automatic transmission going to work in the 89 GL? or is it going to require insane fabrication?

Kenny

The 5spd DR tranny will hold a good amount of power, just don't abuse it when it's RWD or it will blow. I'd say that the EA 5spd and the EJ 5spd are comparable strength wise HOWEVER, the clutch is not. EA clutches suck, the pressure plate is weak and there is no aftermarket support. On top of that, having to use FWD all the time will lead to a lot of tire smokage, axle snapping and wheel hop. Which is fun at first but gets old soon.

Put an EJ AWD 5spd in with the EJ22 turbo. You'll be much happier than the automatic, and loosing the low range is a small price to pay for a street car. You could put in a EJ tranny with the 4.11 rear diff and make up for it a bit that way.

Look for a regular EJ standard tranny, you don't need one out of a turbo legacy. Make sure you get the flywheel with the tranny.

Yeah. Whichever car I choose to eventually swap in my ej22t, I've got the 4.11 5mt from a 90 LS wagon. Just make sure you match the clutch type to the trnasmission. N/a=push, turbo = pull. For push style like mine, clutch options for 2.5RS would be the best way to go.

to answer this.... it'd be a big wiring nightmare!:dead:

Honestly, it wouldn't be much more than the engine wiring. All the stuff intertwines together, you can just leave that big cluster of wires in there... But why would you want a turbo motor with an autotragic?

But why would you want a turbo motor with an autotragic?

agreed. when you take into account the drivetrain loss, and the added weight, of a slushbox, an N/A motor with a 5-speed would be faster.

an EA 5-speed will hold up fine. an XT6 pressure plate is a must for the turbo. there are aftermarket options, if you want to get a stiffer one. WRX clutch discs will work, and there are a number of people who have had custom PP's made....although it'll be hard on your clutch cable. my stock EA82 4-cyl disc and PP are holding up very well to my EJ22e (non-turbo), had 30k miles on them, then sat in a wheel barrow with the blown engine, then bolted to this, and I've put about 25k on it since then....still holding pretty strong.

mounting a hydraulic clutch pedal in an EA car would be a nightmare.....run, don't walk, to your nearest exit.

as mentioned, FWD will get old in a hurry....so get something FT4WD.

an EA82 5-speed will be a bit simpler, with the mounts, linkage, and driveshaft all bolting right up.

4EAT would not be fun to wire up. 'just' leaving in those extra wires would not be nearly as simple as it sounds....especially the clump of wires going to the shifter. taking stuff out is easy, it's making the leftovers work properly that's the hard part.