Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I broke a wheel stud! How do I fix it?

Well, like the topic says, I broke a wheel stud. I don't want to pay les Schwab $250 to fix it, so I was hoping someone could give me some pointers. I think I have to take off the brakes and pound the old one out, but it's on the rear wheel so that means drum brakes. Do those need to come off? Any advice is welcome! Thanks!!

OH! The car is a 94 Impreza in case it makes a difference.:)

Yes, take the drum off. You need to get the axle nut off to do this. These can be a challenge, for sure. The easiest way is to leave the tire on and dont jack it up. If you can get access to the nut, that is. Then get a good breaker bar and socket and break it loose. Not sure about the size for the socket, maybe a 32/33mm? Once you get it loose, then jack the car up and remove the tire. Pull the drum off and take a hammer and knock the stud out. Replace in the reverse order.

If the wheel doesnt allow access to the nut while on, you obviously need to remove the tire. Once off with the car jacked up, you will need some way to hold the drum from turning. Not sure if the e-brake will hold it, but use it and put the tranny in 1st gear. Sometimes the nut comes loose easily, sometimes not (sorry for the pun:-p )

If you cant get the drum to keep from turning, your going to have to get inventive. I use a tire iron in between the studs and propped against the ground. Maybe others here will chip in with thier recommended tools for this.

I had one break on the front wheel of Legacy once, disk brake. I was able to get it out by using a big C clamp as a press and some key stock to give the stud room to move. It works okay, there was a local slot on the inner hub that allows space for the stud to move out. I didn't want to beat on the wheel hub with the bearings inside so I used this press. They sell a tool that does the same thing. Clamps behind the plate part of the hub that holds the studs.

Mmmm, it depends. Got lots of rust where your at? Then it might be tough. Another thing about the drums. You will probably have to back the pads off. There should be a bolt/pin on the backside that you turn that will back them off. Then you will be able to pull the drum off the backing plate. At $250 for replacing a stud, I would certainly do it myself:-p

EDIT_-_-Just realized your in my neck of the woods. Want to come down to my place? If you bring the part I'll do it for a 6 pack of O'Douls.