Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy 30th anniversary lumberjack edition

I thought you guys might get a kick out of this little tale...

Our family cottage is on a lake which, over the last 100 years or so, has had several saw mills on it. From time to time old logs will float one end up off the bottom of the lake and become a 'deadhead' which is vicious for boaters. My family has always taken it upon ourselves to drag these logs ashore to get them out of the waterways and also to cut and split for firewood and kindling. It's win-win.

During my last stay at the cottage I dragged 4 of these deadheads ashore and 3 of them were far too large and heavy for me to drag onto land with just my own manpower... So it did what any logical man would do: braided some loops in the end of a stout rope and grabbed the keys to my wife's 99 legacy wagon:

1001905br4.jpg

1001909mj8.jpg

1001910mc4.jpg

The logs were so waterlogged and heavy that I needed a metal prybar to roll them off to the side of the beach.

The Mrs. wasn't thrilled with my repurposing of her car but I was impressed how well it did. it's only a 2.2 automatic. :headbang:

SUBARU to the rescue! Cool story.

Hey...are any of those logs worth anything? I saw a few shows on TLC or Discovery where they were harvesting these logs and getting up to $40,000 per log harvesting them from the bottom of some lake or river or something by making the rare original growth hardwoods into veneers. I think they found some that was used to make Stradivarius violins?

Unfortunately the logs are worth about as much as uncut lumber/firewood. If I recall correctly they're mostly red spruce or something simliar. No awesome rare hardwoods here. They dry out enough to cut and split after a couple months on the beach and then a year or so in a pile and they're ready for planking salmon, roasting marshmallows, cooking hotdogs, and keeping the cottage warm on cool nights. :grin:

Well there are all those Subaru editions, the alpine, sunsport, etc., so you have the lumberjack.

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night and I work all day.

Ok i'm not the only one that had that pop into my head first.

nipper