Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bumpers offroad type

looking at making a few bumpers, double 2" tube bent at the ends , similar to this AA one in the picture but with tow shackles and a option for a 1-1/4" or 2" reciver hitch port

DSC05072.JPG

heres where the shackles would be

9463Dsc01830.jpg

front and rear bumpers , I will need to buy a set of 2" tubing bender dies so right now Im just seeing if theres any interest out there to so as to help cover the cost of tooling, and what would you pay for a bumper? Scott

Well, I will eventually be looking to do something like this. Closer to the car, though, and with a 2" receiver.

Actually the photo shown above is misleading as the red/blue/purple/silver car is missing it's front grill and headlight rings. Here's the same bumper on a different car. It fits fairly snug.

7-after.JPG

Rollie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you'd be willing to do one with a 2" reciever and tabs for a skid plate already welded on, I'd go to two bills for that. I'd also like to see an option for a third rail at hood height for headlight protection (Maybe with tabs welded in so a fella could wing-nut some heavy wire mesh covers over the headlights in thick brush or gravel roads,if ya folla)

Having any thoughts about rear bumpers/tire carriers/jerry-can holders? Hmmm? How about now?

Okay, how about now?

so from this thread looks like 3 people interested , that would pay $200 for a front bumper, I can do 1-1/2" tubing right now double tube, I personally want to do 2" which would require a new set of dies, Im thinking $200 wouldnt be worth it,

Well, don't price yourself out of the market just because you want to upgrade pipe sizes. I could live with a bumper out of 1 1/2" tubing.

what size you want to bend? pipe or tubing?

Correct me if I am wrong but I think I mean tubing, nothing thick wall like schedule 40 pipe. I have tried those cheap pipe benders you can pick up for 100 buck or so and it just kinks the tubing I want to bend.

Tubing size to match what my bumpers are now, I would have to measure. Then smaller tubing for a basket lets say 1 inch or 3/4 inch.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A little Update: Been doing some design work, looks like I will go with 2-1/2" round tubing with built in recovery points, 2 - shackles, 2" x 2 " receiver and a grabbar/ grill guard/light bar iin the center,

similar to this but straight capped tubing

RP_7649.jpg

shackles and grabbar similar to this but wider gap between uprights to allow for offroad lights in the middle

DSC00151.JPG

goal is to keep it under $300 but I wont know till I add up all the costs, also planning on a skidplate to work with this