Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Single electric fan?

A few weeks ago my soob chucked one of the blades off the engine driven fan through my 3 month old radiator:madder:. I bent the damaged rows over and removed the fan to hold me over until I can afford a new rad and WOW!, there is a huge power difference. I always heard there was a 10-15 hp loss with an engine driven fan but now I believe it. The car runs much better and can pull hills in 5th no problem. It's actually got me excited about building the car again.

So anyway the electric fan and damaged rad are doing an acceptable job of cooling the car now in the winter but I'll definately need to do something by summer. Does anyone know of a junkyard fan that'll be close to bolting on the a suby rad replacing both stock fans? I was thinking 2 stock electric but the 2nd fan wouldn't clear the water pump pulley. Any ideas before I go custom? The car in question is an '88 GL Wagon.

Thanks

Travis

Originally posted by Goatboy

Is this true?? I was thinking of running electric fans anyway. But if I do and gain HP out of it!! Sweet!

--GoatBoy--

I don't have a dyno but my butt tells me the car runs a lot better and has more power. I'll be able to comment on the MPG in a few days. I was able to pass people heading north on the I-17 last weekend loaded for camping. Before loaded up heading north I'd be doing 65 foot to the floor. Definately a difference. Took some of the sting off of needing a new rad.

Whot's yer vehicle Travis? They do have aux electric fans for the EA81's, I've seen a good number of them, thats whot I've got on mine.

There definatly is a noticable difference with the mech fan off, thats the first thing that I do when I get a vehicle. I've only got the one electric fan on my EA82, and it works just fine, even in the summer, I've got a brand new radiator in it though.

Originally posted by Adam N.D.J.

Whot's yer vehicle Travis? They do have aux electric fans for the EA81's, I've seen a good number of them, thats whot I've got on mine.

There definatly is a noticable difference with the mech fan off, thats the first thing that I do when I get a vehicle. I've only got the one electric fan on my EA82, and it works just fine, even in the summer, I've got a brand new radiator in it though.

The car is an '88 GL Wagon dual range EA82 single port throttle body. Don't know what other info you want to know. It's a stock and boring station wagon. It had a mechanical fan off the water pump and a electric fan on the pass side. I replaced the rad a few months ago and it had no cooling issues until the fan blade created a 2" x 5" hole in the rad. The electric fan is now wired to run all the time and it's ok but I know it won't handle a 120 degree phoenix summer in its current form. I'm thinking of heading to the boneyard tomorrow to look for a fan and other goodies. I was hoping someone already did the legwork for me.

I just ordered a 12" electric fan for my 87 turbowagon, it is only 2.5" thick. Unless my measurements are way off it will fit. It only drains 6 amps but pulls 1200+ cfms. It will be arriving in a couple of days and then I could tell you exactly if it fits.

overkiller i feel your pain i live in yuma, az. when i arrived here in my car it was 110 degrees. on the freeway it ran really warm. i installed a subaru aux fan. so i have a dual setup.i'm also gonna be going with a hood scoop like QMan's. to help get the heat out better. cause on the freeway it runs really warm.

what kind of mods are you doing to your car, mesa is only a few hours away. if your makin her to go wheel i'll gladly go with you.

when i get my car back i'm planning on running up to florence jct area to try some trails. and also try to make a run with the az backcountry 4wd club. so if you want to ride with me give me a call. or if you want to hang around sometime. give me a call.

ph#

i bought the fan off of ebay. It is from partsfinder. My buddy got one for his honda and said it worked great. It's called a reversible HP thin electric fan or something along those lines. Just look up 12" electric fan on ebay and it should pop up. THere are a lot of them.

Originally posted by Rooinater

what kind of mods are you doing to your car, mesa is only a few hours away. if your makin her to go wheel i'll gladly go with you.

when i get my car back i'm planning on running up to florence jct area to try some trails. and also try to make a run with the az backcountry 4wd club. so if you want to ride with me give me a call. or if you want to hang around sometime. give me a call.

ph#

\

I got a full blown rockcrawler so the Soob is just the camping mobile. I've wheeled it a little and it does quite well but rocks are definately not it's strong point, I also got it stuck in the mud 15 feet from the road but I won't go into details:-\. I do love the fact that I can load it to the gills with camping gear, the dogs, the Mrs. and head to wherever I want to camp getting 20+mpg. I also drive it 100 miles a day with exceptional reliability.

Anyway the plan is to find some 14" pugs, get some 26" SSTs, a little lift if needed, a rear locker ( I have a few ideas I'm working on),some custom bumpers, intake and exhaust. As for wheeling it I do plan on a snow run when she's all squared away. I'm actually really looking forward to hitting the snow in her. When she's all done I might do a bit of wheeling but really if I have to choose between wheelin' the Soob or my cralwer I'm taking the truck out. Lockers, swampers, and 168:1 is hard to beat for wheeling fun. I'll post up if I go hit the snow.

So Yuma eh, have you hit the dunes yet? How'd the roo do? I've been really contemplating heading down to Glamis in the Soob but I didn't want to drive all that way to have the car suck.

Travis

Edit: I live 1/2 an hour from Florence so shoot me an email when you head up.

i'll definately shoot you an emai when i come up.

Glamis it doesn't do bad till you hit the whoops and the tall dunes. 15 to 25 mph is my limit or stuff starts breaking. i prefer the rocks and mud. i'll envy that 168:1. mine will have about 60+:1. a lot better than 20:1 stock. i still have plans to build a jeep in the next couple years. i'm torn between buying a jeep, a impreza or a yamaha r1. can't decide. but i need a vehicle that has a/c. this place is hot as hell!!! but i'm stoked to start doing some crawlin, versus sand. there is not a lot of designated trails here in yuma. most of the places are sand pits :mad: i'd love to get up there the end of january to do some wheeling and show you little roo.

the big problem i had was tearing strut tops. that's because my 27's are so heavy and i replaced the tops with dry az ones.

the mods that'll be done to my car by the time i come up.

8" lift with subframe.

nissan tcase

power steering

5 speed d/r tranny

high performance 1.8L

rear discs.

4.11 r&p's

another rear lincoln locker

front LSD

ea 82 suspension

31" kumho tires

chevy 15" rims

and a few other things.

So i want to go play!!

Originally posted by Rooinater

i'll definately shoot you an emai when i come up.

Glamis it doesn't do bad till you hit the whoops and the tall dunes. 15 to 25 mph is my limit or stuff starts breaking. i prefer the rocks and mud. i'll envy that 168:1. mine will have about 60+:1. a lot better than 20:1 stock. i still have plans to build a jeep in the next couple years. i'm torn between buying a jeep, a impreza or a yamaha r1. can't decide. but i need a vehicle that has a/c. this place is hot as hell!!! but i'm stoked to start doing some crawlin, versus sand. there is not a lot of designated trails here in yuma. most of the places are sand pits :mad: i'd love to get up there the end of january to do some wheeling and show you little roo.

the big problem i had was tearing strut tops. that's because my 27's are so heavy and i replaced the tops with dry az ones.

the mods that'll be done to my car by the time i come up.

8" lift with subframe.

nissan tcase

power steering

5 speed d/r tranny

high performance 1.8L

rear discs.

4.11 r&p's

another rear lincoln locker

front LSD

ea 82 suspension

31" kumho tires

chevy 15" rims

and a few other things.

So i want to go play!!

Sounds interesting. Get your spare parts collection and we'll head out to Florence. I'll take my truck:D. I know a few rock trails you can cut your teeth on. Upper Woodpecker and Lower Ajax should be doable with your setup. It's a short haul from my house so I'd love to take a day and watch a Roo on the rocks. Oh yeah Jeeps suck. There a much cheaper ways to build a crawler. I wish I would have learned that lesson sooner. I had 6 Jeeps before I figured it out.

Just

Everyone

Elses

Parts

Travis

hahaha why not upper ajax hahaha. doubt it right now. woodpecker and ajax i've been drooling over on the internet and in my arizona 4wd trails book. i'm game to go play with the low range crawler. how's the weather in the florence area around now? it's like around 70 here on average right now.

i'll try to grab a front spare axle, and strut arms and rods. i'll bring my spare rear axle. so i guess i'll begoing junkyard shopping when i'm in washington!

got to get my digi camera fixed!! so i can post pics of that!! i'm stoked and can't wait to go!!

in the future my car might go live axle, cause i got a friend that's trying to sell me a set of toy axles tcase and drivelines for a couple hundred.... contemplating taking him up on that and making another suby.