Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 Stock GL 4X4 Wagon - Original Owner

Yup, 86 EA82 GL 4WD will be carbed. I know, I got's one.:-p With 225K miles and on the 3rd engine :eek: and second tranny. (leadfoot + hot AZ temps + not watching temp guage = :dead:Engine.) And my 86 and both of my sisters' 87's carbed GL wagons had black air cleaner assemblies. As far as I have seen, only the EA81/71 engines had blue air cleaner assemblies. Hummmmm intristing info we have, Yes......

But anyways......Subarule, welcome to the board! You have found prolly the best Suby board out there.:headbang:

As far as the struts, if they are original, it may be time for new ones. A heavy load can weaken them, but that usually is over time, not right after.:confused: My rear struts are going and they are original. My roo has hauled 9 people while off roading, 10 or 15 trips of firewood from one end of the property to the house, gone airbornre a few times, 2 trips to WCSS and has seen countless miles of trails, getting stuck, and being pulled out. And she just keeps rolling!:burnout:

As far as the struts, if they are original, it may be time for new ones. A heavy load can weaken them, but that usually is over time, not right after...

With "heavy load" being a relative term, it has hauled a lot of loads in its 21 years. None as heavy as the 40 cement blocks, though. I did give directions to the person loading them, how I wanted each block to be placed, in order to balance the load evenly across the space available.

Everything about the suspension system is original. That's why I thought it was time to re-do it all, front to back. Same for the steering.

My rear struts are going and they are original. My roo has hauled 9 people while off roading, 10 or 15 trips of firewood from one end of the property to the house, gone airbornre a few times, 2 trips to WCSS and has seen countless miles of trails, getting stuck, and being pulled out. And she just keeps rolling!

Mine's never been abused in any way, except for hauling the cement blocks, if that counts as abuse. Used, but not abused.

Subarule

I have the super-duper Bissell hot water steam cleaner (great invention and a necessity!) and some very good products (the dogs, you know) that can take out everything. However, the carpet is in no condition to be salvaged, I'm afraid. Long ago a bottle of bleach in a grocery store bag tipped over and leaked bleach in the rear carpeted area (I usually keep the back seat folded down), making a bleach spot about 1' X 1'. So beside being bleached out it is also a very weak spot in the carpet due to the bleach eating the fibers. You can probably imagine how :headbang: I was at the grocery bagger who didn't secure the bleach bottle inside a tied-off plastic bag.

Also, some years ago a gallon can of white paint tipped over while sitting on the floor behind the driver's seat. About a 1/2" thick swath of white paint on the carpet and the floor/door molding because the lid wasn't on properly (my fault). Too much trouble to scrape it off because the rest of the carpet in the rear has to go.

If that isn't enough, the carpet is very faded in the hatch area from keeping the seat down and the sun pouring in on it. No, the carpet isn't worth the effort of cleaning.

I'll definitely look into that. The Chilton book isn't very helpful in that department.

I'd be ashamed to take any photos of the way he looks now. The bumpers are faded and the long piece of black rubber exterior trim that runs horizontally along the sides is missing on the passenger side. All I have are photos from when it was new. I purchased it in Colorado for snow & ice driving, which it excels at.

Subarule

1-800-545-8547. this is the number for Bud's carpets they have custom fit carpets for Subies

So does Stock Interiors. And I've already gotten samples from them. They also have the headliners.

Subarule

Do you have the contact info for them handy? My Hatchback came with the vynal/rubber flooring instead of carpet and it could use an update.

Do you have the contact info for them handy? My Hatchback came with the vynal/rubber flooring instead of carpet and it could use an update.

Their web site has their toll-free #:

http://www.stockinteriors.com/items.asp?MakeId=26&ModelId=401&MainCatId=1&Desc=Subaru_Impreza_Carpet

It says "Impreza" but stuff that's ordered by the yard will be custom trimmed anyway. All I cared about was getting a color match & the same quality of carpet that the car came with new.

Subarule