Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Driver's Side Radiator Fan Doesn't Come On

Ok, I noticed this a while back but sorta put it out of my mind since I never had a true heat problem. My Passenger side fan comes on when ever the temp goes a little above the second mark (just over half-way) but when I was pushing the engine pretty hard this last week end, I had to stop and cool things down after going up some pretty steep and hard trails, and the driver's side fan never came on. Are the controlls for these fans the same or is there a separate heat sensor for each?

No its not. Its supposed to come on after the A/C kicks in and the extra cooling is needed. I've added this secondary fan on all my turbo cars and have it wired to come on the same time as the regular cooling fan. You may want to add a relay and seperate power to this curcuit, as it pulls more power off the curcuit and can overload it.

No its not. Its supposed to come on after the A/C kicks in and the extra cooling is needed. I've added this secondary fan on all my turbo cars and have it wired to come on the same time as the regular cooling fan. You may want to add a relay and seperate power to this curcuit, as it pulls more power off the curcuit and can overload it.

Ahhh hmmm, right now I temporaryly have a jumper from the old high beam wiring (my new "high beams" are the off-road lights with their own separate circuit) to the fan with a fuse. I guess I will have to see about getting a relay as well. Not really up on wiring, can you just put in the relay in series or do I need to make a separate circuit? I've not put in a new radiator yet (switched in a used one that seems to be better from an EA81T that I flushed with a kit) and that is on the list with new adjustable front struts. For now I have it set up so that the drivers side fan runs when the ignition is on, will that be safe for a temporary fix untill I get to Oregon in about a week?

yeah that's totally safe.

I grabbed an A/C relay from an EA82 car and used that as my EA81T coupe's second fan relay.. works great. I fused both of the power sources to the relay using the little inline fuse holders that A/C'ed EA81s have so it all looks stockish.

Will do the same with the second electric fan on my EA82 wagon but I'll use EA82 inline fuses so it looks OEMish.

Kewl, ty for the info, just got done wiring in a relay on the ground side for both fans with a kill switch for that "some day" when I get my diff and tranny breathers routed up into the body/snorkle. The hot side for the left fan is still fused so I think I'm pretty safe.:burnout:

Gonna mark the kill switch as "Fan" and "Dive" modes.:-p