Ultimate Subaru Message Board

temp pissin me off

MY ea82t wagon is heating up under load e.g i live at a top of a huge hill, i can drive around all day fine but when i put her under load the temp go's up fastin have just put a td04 on her she is intercooled, new heads and head gaskets, new water pump and radatior but the radatior is a single core so iam thinking it isnt big enough for the turbo motor. Just got a new radatior cap today but havent taken her for a hill climb yet to see if that helps both fans are working. No good having a nice car if its overheating please help me fix this problem.

you run hi octane or low octane????

if you run low test, try a tankful of hi test before swapping radiators. Forcing that much more air into the engine than it expects (bigger turbo) can cause a lean condition, which can lead directly to pinging from predetonation, which torpedos pistons and blows headgaskets. If the hi octane seems to help, I bet you would be mest served by 280ZX injectors before a 2 row rad... alto the rad is always an important part, too. In the meantime, you can avoid the pinging by adding a couple degrees of ignition advance on the dizzy.. stock is supposed to be at 20* BTDC, but if you are pinging then you need to get that spark there a bit sooner so it ignites the fuel before the fuel ignites itself. Higher octane fuel, and more spark advance, are the two ways to step around predetonation, and pinging of this sort will DEFINITELY cause higher than usual coolant temperatures.

(EDIT: I saw the subject header and I was very tempted to say "well then send her home, call up the agency and have them send out another one!" Would that have gone over well?? I am in a strange humour these days, because I am incredibly, mind bogglingly over stressed and under satisfied. If it was lame please forgive me :-p Consider this a blanket apology for any of the odd jokes I have made in the last week or two.)

Iam using high octain fuel, to set it at 20 btdc do i set the flyweel to 20 btdc and then put the dissy in to the number one plug pos? .You made me smile with you humor so no apology needed he he he.

Uhhh... You're gonna need a timing light to set the timing correctly...

put the induction clamp on the #1 lead, then point it at the timing marks with the engine running... You will also need to connect the green connectors under the dash.

rotate the dizzy until the timing mark lines up with 20 on the flywheel