Ultimate Subaru Message Board

radio/cassette problem in 93 wgn

well, a tape done got eaten the other day, i ejected it and some tape stayed in the machine, well, i pulled hard and the tape came out but i believe some stayed cause now when i put a tape in it sounds like %$)*^&%$&^( all wavering and pitching ect...is it worth it to try and get it fixed or shall i just find another one in the pull a part?

Pulling on the tape real hard may have bent some of the internals of the tape player. The gibberish that you are now hearing is prolly because the tape is not being pulled through the machine at a constant speed. I think it is prolly more trouble then it is worth to try and fix it. Lots easier and prolly not much money to simply replace the unit with one from a wrecking yard. I hope you find a good unit.

an upgrade is not what i am after, i have a ton of cassette tapes i have to listen to and see which ones i like, which ones i dont, and which ones are toast...since the new car had a tape deck and i spend a couple of hours a day in it i thought it would be a great opportunity to listen to a couple of tapes every day...

Hey, I have a spare one of those laying around. Came out of my 92 when I swapped it for a 91 unit. (the 90 and 91 models have a front AUX jack that went away in 92. . .) If you want it, I can send it up to you for the price of shipping. send me a PM or email if you are interested.

Cheers for Gnu!

There is also a device for transferring analog audio to digital audio so you can save all the music on the cassettes to a digital format (MP3/CD/DVD, whatever) and upgrade the player. I know it's hard to enter new technology. I still have 8 track tapes that I need to catalogue;).

Hey, I have a spare one of those laying around. Came out of my 92 when I swapped it for a 91 unit. (the 90 and 91 models have a front AUX jack that went away in 92. . .) If you want it, I can send it up to you for the price of shipping. send me a PM or email if you are interested.

Heh, I've started telling people that my car is so old, it has come back into fashion!! The AUX in is just starting to come back into car radios in order to support MP3 players. . . And yes I do use an MP3 player as my primary music source. . .

Heh, I've started telling people that my car is so old, it has come back into fashion!! The AUX in is just starting to come back into car radios in order to support MP3 players. . . And yes I do use an MP3 player as my primary music source. . .

Its odd. 90-91 had aux. Then the rest didn't. What happened? Still even alot of cars today do not have auxillary although a 17-18 year old car would :confused:

Its odd. 90-91 had aux. Then the rest didn't. What happened? Still even alot of cars today do not have auxillary although a 17-18 year old car would :confused:

Portable CD players were just beginning to be in fashion (read: comming down in price) and I'm sure it was marketing driven - some research somewhere indicated that the target market was big into this technology and they wanted to be able to pitch the ability to plug one in without using one of those clunky cassette adapters.

GD

The general got a good hit on why they were put in on the 89-91 models. In 92 the car underwent a "facelift" and with the prices of in dash CD players going down, they opted on saving a few pennies and doing away with the front AUX input. During this facelift we also lost the rear organiser pockets for the height adjust seats, and the forward to back adjustable headrests for them as well. In addition, the rear swaybar was dropped from the L models, only being standard on the LS and better. . .

It is similar to the later conversion to the plastic thermostat housing, and plastic oil seperator in the 95-99 models.

We can call this trend in Subaru history "The Attack of the Bean Counters!" and yes, it makes no sense at all. . .