Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Allied Armament Lift Kit - finished - details

Outback Gen 2

I am posting this for anyone who does an allied lift kit in the future. The allied instructions are fine, but there other details that need to be filled in.

Before you start if its an automatic, insepect the shifter cable. Try to brake the adjusting bolts loose. If it wont budge, order a new one. Do this before the build, otherwise you will come to a screaming halt waiting for the part. If its really stubborn you may need to repair the bracket.

You will need camber adjustment bolts, available at Tire Rack. You need the 3-4 degree bolts, as this will give you lots of room for adjustment.

2 Radiator hoses, as the sooby ones are too short.

The fuel line, return line and vapor line all need to be extended, otherwise there will be too much stress on the lines.

The Charcoal canister line and the vacume (or vent) line also need to be extended, same reasons.

Make sure there is slack in the harnesses, especially if you have added anything on your own.

You can keep the factory air (intake) boxes. There is a bracket that the box over the engine bolts to. This bracket also has a clamp for an AC line. You will remove this bracket, as it can not support the air box anymore. The airbox will be at an angle and be a little bit of a tight fit, but nothing is harmed. You can loose the AC clamp.

The accessory drive belt guard for the PS pump ( if you decide to keep it and you should) needs to have 2-3 inches trimmed off the front edge to clear the radiator fan bracket. It doesnt hit, but it really does look too close to be comfortable.

The dogbone motor mount (under the air box) needs to be lengthened, or replaced with a suitable longer one.

The rear sway bar is going to be flipped down if it is left as is. The rear radius bars need to be swaped, this will almost bring the sway bar back to its proper height and function. This is not mandatory.

The factory exhaust system may bang against the transmission subframe. This is easily correctable by removing one of the rubber donut muffler supports at the back of the car. This takes a tremendous amount of stress off the exhaust system. On my car the heat sheilds were lowered with standoffs to the proper height. Watch the 2nd O2 sensor.

After the car is assembled, the steering is going to feel like its binding. This will go away as the universal joints wear in. Be sure to grease them with lithium grease.

If there is a driveline vibration (mild) the carrier bearing may need to be shimmed with a few washers.

I would STRONGLY recomend installing new struts at this time. If you have a tired strut (murphies law they never blow as a set) with the additional height handling can be interesting.

Get used to how the car handles now (it doesnt change too much). For some odd reason the car seems a little more agresive :clap:

nipper

Total cost after everything was said and done with a breakdown?

That i can't tell you, because i had other things done at the same time.

It's not too hard to figure out though, as there arent many parts other then the Allied kit.

nipper

please submit for the USRM would ya? :headbang:

and Pics dam it!:banana:

i would love too, but i dont know how right now. (bad morning, E.R at the wee hours, serious pain meds) so someone else fell free. i wont mind.

Pictures are coming, they just have to wait till i got over this health hiccup.

nipper

I just want to say thanks Nipper!!! I'm trying to find Scorpion springs right now so I can do put my lift kit on (Rennick is telling me they are on 1 month backorder:eek: ) If anyone has an idea where I might find lift springs for my Outback, send me an email!

At least the shop I am using is letting me take pics as they progress:)

***UPDATE*** Springs are on their way!!!!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
Good write up on the little things. Radiator hoses, vacuum, gas lines, etc. Everyone who is adding a lift kit first time ever, just assumes nothing besides the kit is needed. We all know there are many little things to overcome, and you covered them quite well..

thanks

good job.

actually, if they did their research properly .......they would not be surprised.imagine that.

a boyscout of sorts....

cheers, brian

• 4 years later...

Really sorry to bring back an old thread but i need some help asap. Hopefully someone here can give me some advice.

Here's what i got

94 legacy on 05 xt struts and lgacy springs. which give about a 1.5in lift

I just bought a set of SJR lift plates with an additional 1.5in lift.

Total 3in strut lift.

while installing them i have come to realize i absolutely need a body lift. There is just too much strain on the cvs/tierods.

How can i piece together or where can i find a body lift?

Please help guys, snow is already on its way to the rockies and i need to get this lift done asap.

• 2 months later...

Really sorry to bring back an old thread but i need some help asap. Hopefully someone here can give me some advice.

Here's what i got

94 legacy on 05 xt struts and lgacy springs. which give about a 1.5in lift

I just bought a set of SJR lift plates with an additional 1.5in lift.

Total 3in strut lift.

while installing them i have come to realize i absolutely need a body lift. There is just too much strain on the cvs/tierods.

How can i piece together or where can i find a body lift?

Please help guys, snow is already on its way to the rockies and i need to get this lift done asap.

That's a bummer. I came on here to research that very thing. I have a 93 Legacy with 2000 Forester struts/springs. I was thinking about grabbing some 1 or 2" lift spacers from ncfab.net to put on in addition.