Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 RX battery area cancer pics

I knew that I was going to have to replace some of this sheetmetal. Not as disheartening now that I have it all taken apart. Will be cutting and welding within the week.

After looking at the area good and close, it appears that at some time in this cars life it had a battery explode. Not bad, but I can tell from the paint and where the steel is corroded that something along those lines happened.

After cutting some of the original battery platform out. See the hole? The splatter on the radiator support.(grey)

Rx_engine_bay_battery_area_012.sized.jpg

Little cleaner, not so daunting a task as I initially thought.

Rx_engine_bay_battery_area_034.sized.jpg

Going to be taking this box and the the flat part of the inner fender too. Just looking to take enough out to get to good metal on the RX.

Rx_engine_bay_battery_area_003.sized.jpg

I've given this part of the car a good once over thinking that the acid had started an unstoppable bout of cancer. It seem to be concentrated in just this one place and didn't make it to the frame rails. Maybe not an explosion, just a badly done battery fill with a hose?

Breaking out the MIG. I hate welding on this thin stuff. Give me a piece of 1/4" plate anytime.

Regards,

Jay

Working on cleaning the engine bay and fixing the one bad rust spot before the engine goes back in. Waiting on parts, so I don't want to get into the engine until the parts get here.

Does anyone know what spray bomb color matches the original white on the RX the best. Since I only have this one spot to do I'm not going to break out the paint gun.

battery_explosion_014.sized.jpg

Jay

Even before I saw your location, I knew you weren't from anywhere near the East coast. This is pretty, what I've got for rust. No real big deal. I'll trade you the rust for some interior trim pieces and vinyl from out your way. Eh? :-p

I have seen this area in EA82 cars being non existent. Not there.

Jay

Note the first ever use of a smiley to denote sarcasm.