Ultimate Subaru Message Board

As others hinted at, make sure the motor is bad before you condemn it. It doubt that it is bad but it could be jammed. Test it after it is freed up by connecting power directly to it.

Good point.... The stealership told my aunt she needed a new driver's side power window switch on her 91 Legacy, and of course wanted to charge her loads of money. I got one at a junk yard and did the swap. Turned out her switch was just fine, it was the wiring harness to the door. One of the was had broken internally and only made intermittant contact.

Keith

Update! -

So they couldnt get the part without ordering it. and they said 3 days. so i went back and picked up my car. went to get some lunch and on the way back to my office i got the inclination to try it again, and to my suprise it went back up. I decided to throw caution to the wind ans try to put it back down, and nothing.

details are. i tried to put it up from the drivers side. then the passenger side switch. the passenger side switch worked. (it did not before) The driver side had stoped working all together the day before it went down and stayed down using the passenger side switch.

Needless to say now that its up, i canceled the parts order. and i have the luxury of time to address the problem.

From the sounds of it, it seems to me you have some switch problems. Possibly also some wiring problems in the door jamb.

So what do i do?

is it hard to take the inner door off to see if somthing i jammed up mechanically?

What might it mean since the driver side switch doesnt do anything and the passenger side will put it down but not up. and it all went bad at the same time. I doubt both switches would crap out at the same time would they?

I think the power for the passenger switch has to pass through the driver side switch first so that would point to it as the possible trouble. The driver's door panel can be pryed loose by using a small putty knife. There are some plastic retainers in the around panel edges You will feel them as you slide the blade around under the edge. Carefully pry them out as they can break through the panel if you are not careful. Once you get at the switches try spraying the contacts with some spray cleaner. If you try to take the switch apart be fore-warned there are small springs in the switch that will fly out if the switch is opened. I would take it apart in a plastic bag if you do that but if you can avoid taking it apart I would.

• 4 years later...