Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale shocks?

Now I'm looking at the kyb catalog while I type this and they only list the 341065 part number for the rears on a loyale and nothing for the fronts. However, the 1985-86 4wd wagon has the same part number on the rears and 234046 & 234047 for the fronts. Is there a reason these aren't listed for the loyale wagons (and sedans) or would they work?

-Doug

On my 90 Loyale, the fronts are struts and the rears are shocks.

No subaru other than the brat and ea81 hatchback made since 1985 has had rear shocks(and probably the justy, but it doesn't count in my book). They've used a coil over strut or air ride system ever since, front and rear.

To answer the other question, yes the struts front and rear for 85/86 will work for the loyale. Some parts listings are incomplete or in accurate for some subaru models, especially the brat and hatch past 85, and the loyale. Look at the pictures, if availible, for the 85 struts from kyb, the oem ones for 85/86 4wds had height adjusters like the ea81 4wds.

Just so you know, my rear 'shocks' on my 90 Loyale have no coil over them.

Shall I post a picture???

I think we're splitting hairs here. I get the idea.

Yes, do post a picture. Or just look at them. I bet that you'll be surprised to discover your rear shocks do have a coil on them. That's the only part of the rear suspension that holds the car up.

• 3 weeks later...
Now I'm looking at the kyb catalog while I type this and they only list the 341065 part number for the rears on a loyale and nothing for the fronts. However, the 1985-86 4wd wagon has the same part number on the rears and 234046 & 234047 for the fronts. Is there a reason these aren't listed for the loyale wagons (and sedans) or would they work?

-Doug

I am looking for struts also, and this is has to be the most frustrating thing I have ever tried to find for any of my old Subes...

So to verify will 85-86 4wd Wagon struts work on later 4wd wagon models including my 1989 and the Loyale. This will not throw the heights way off or anything funky, like the front end being 4" higher than the rear?

The only listing here for front and rear struts is found in Gabriel, I am not saying others won't work, but there is no listing for all four in KYB, or Monroe, it also helps too that I get my best price "break" in Gabriel.

Shocks, struts, does it matter?

I figure they are struts:

1) changeable spring

2) they can, and do, charge more for "struts" than "shocks"

Has anyone personally used the 85-86 wagon front shocks on a later model wagon? I still haven't seen a clear answer for this...

I noticed Monroe has different part numbers for the later wagons, so I e-mailed them to find out what the dimensional differences or whatever is different between the two. Hopefully they respond.

Has anyone personally used the 85-86 wagon front shocks on a later model wagon? I still haven't seen a clear answer for this...

I noticed Monroe has different part numbers for the later wagons, so I e-mailed them to find out what the dimensional differences or whatever is different between the two. Hopefully they respond.

yes, I ran my '85 adjustable struts on my '88 lifted wagon for about a year. worked perfectly.

I wonder if the monroe replacements are adjustable

yes, I ran my '85 adjustable struts on my '88 lifted wagon for about a year. worked perfectly.

Ok, well I guess I'll go ahead and order the front GR2's for the 85/86. If there is a problem I guess there are plenty of people with experience in lowering or lifting an EA82 wagon. :)

• 12 years later...

For many parts, 1986-1993 parts are the same.   The trick is that you have to stick with EA82 powered models for this.  There was overlap for a bit, where GL could be what became the Loyales, and the old version of GL.  Fewer parts interchange between those.  I don't know the specific years, I only list the range I have actually owned and swapped parts with.  But they do range a little earlier and I am pretty sure, to 1994.

• 5 months later...