Ultimate Subaru Message Board

for you die-hard ea81 lifted soob folks...

mcbrat

I've been running 2 lifted soobs side by side the last couple of months. both are weberized, but one has more "performance" mods, and they make a world of difference... I would never go back to "stock+weber only" for off-roading...

1982 GL 4WD wagon

non-original solid lifter engine

weber 32/36 carb with stock jets (140/140 mains)

custom hi-flow exhaust

larger 225mm flywheel/clutch from '84

'84 hi/lo tranny

Accel Super Stock Coil w/new wires

225/70R14 AT tires

1982 GL Brat :clap: WINNER :clap:

hydro engine with solid lifters, built with Delta torque cam

weber 32/36 with 155/155 mains

1"+ carb spacer

custom hi-flow exhaust (done at same place as wagon, though wagon may have slightly larger exhaust)

'89 5 spd D/R with XT6 clutch and spec'd set-up

Accel Super Coil with 8mm wires

MSD 6A Multi-Spark Ignition

Recurved Distributor

27x9.50x15 SSR's

I think the Brat weighs in now at about 3000 pounds trail ready, no passengers. wagon is maybe 40lb over stock....

the "seat of the pants" dyno gives the Brat the :burnout:

and for the torque, and hill climb ability while off-roading too....

:headbang:

• Like 1

Me either. lol I love my efi. ;)

it may be a while before I get there... got some other lower priority things I need to get done first... also, depends on how long the frame rails last on the Brat. it would appear from my recent inspections while putting in the ea82 rear suspension, that I've done a number on the underbody :)

still solid though. no rust yet...

i want a lifted soob again....but i dont like the lift kit i have,.....and i think my next one is going to be an sjr 4/4.....so anybody that is thinking about selling thier Ea81 sjr kit...i want first dibs...

you know alot of people say they dont work well but.... i got a chance to drive mike's lifted turbo brat, and i think it was the coolest soobie i ever have driven. he had the 5sp. d/r in it and a completely rebuilt Ea81T and the turbo spooled at the trial cruising speed(2500rpm) and i was loving it... i think it has quite a bit of power too it.....i LOVED IT!!!!!

i guess what i am asking is....what are everybody else's experiences with the Ea81T motor for offroad purposes?

thanks(didnt mean to hijack if i did...)

-Dalton

• 3 weeks later...
Ever had a problem with the Accel Super Stock Coils? I just got one for my 87 Hatch and i was told they are crap and i should find an original Hitachi.

I'm running the SuperCoil (square block one), with a MSD 6A Ignition :)

no complaints here...

• 2 weeks later...
Ever had a problem with the Accel Super Stock Coils? I just got one for my 87 Hatch and i was told they are crap and i should find an original Hitachi.

i've got one with 20k miles on it, it was chrome, but now its rusted brown, never had a problem.

i think they had a bad run a couple years ago.

Mcbrat, I used to be a ea82/er27 mpfi guy, but after trouble shooting efi problems, and having timing belts fail i have opted for the bullet proof ea81. Hopefully i can turn the spare one i have into something that wont make me angry every time i floor it. im glad i found this post, nice recipe.

Did the 5 speed make a big difference?

i've got one with 20k miles on it, it was chrome, but now its rusted brown, never had a problem.

i think they had a bad run a couple years ago.

Mcbrat, I used to be a ea82/er27 mpfi guy, but after trouble shooting efi problems, and having timing belts fail i have opted for the bullet proof ea81. Hopefully i can turn the spare one i have into something that wont make me angry every time i floor it. im glad i found this post, nice recipe.

Did the 5 speed make a big difference?

yeah, I really like the 5 speed

I have one that I have had for longer than any vehicle currently in my driveway. Its on its 3rd or 4th car. I bought it years ago when I still had my Brat.

How hard is it to do the 5 Sp swap? My Brat has the 3Sp auto. My wagon has the 5 sp D/R and I really like it.

I believe there's a bit more involved because of the auto trans tunnel in your Brat...

the tunnel may need to be "adjusted" :)

you'll need the whole pedal assembly.

possibly a different anti-sway bar.

...i'm sure there's more things

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind the manual cars and automatic cars have completely different transmission crossmembers, as well as on the ea81's, the radius rod mount brackets are different from the factory. The manual ones have the extra tabby deals for the crossmember thats more "up front". I did the swap on mine, it just takes a little creativity.

-Mike

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...