Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cleaning Block Surfaces on a 2.5L EJ25(1998)

Hello,

I'm in the middle of doing a headgasket job on a 1998 OBW 2.5L EJ25. What do you recommend for cleaning the block surfaces? I'm not used to working on aluminum blocks and want to be careful. I'm also not used to such large voids. All other blocks I've worked on were a much more solid surface. I'm not taking the block apart itself and just want to clean the block's head gasket surfaces.

The heads will be going into the machine shop, so I'm not going to worry about those.

I'm not an expert but I would keep away from anything metallic on a soft aluminum surface, except scraping with a rasor blade with the cutting edge trailing.

Better still, I got something from NAPA that works great. It's called a «soie» in french. Dont know the english conterpart. It's round with special plastic bristles and can be used with a fast electric drill or better with a small air cutter or grinder (the faster it turns the less pressure you have to apply). It removes all of the gasket remains without gouging or scratching the aluminum. Beware though. They make them for cast iron blocks AND for aluminum blocks (and heads). Make sure you buy the right one. The wrong one will damage the aluminum.

+1 for that french/napa deal, the one I used was yellow and made things way easy...and fast :burnout: . I didn't buy the spendy connector thing for the drill tho, just drilled out the center and ran a bolt with washers thru for an attachment.

The one I bought (in the neighbourghood of 10$ IIRC) fitted directly into a 1/4 inch drill chuck. I think it was white. There might be different models.

Oops...Auto Value now that I think of it. Napa is usually where I go...yes...got it here in St. Cloud "ya sure ya betcha":banana:

Take off eh!

Oh wait, that's more Canadian....

How about some lutefisk or a Sven and Ole's Pizza from Grand Marias eh?

I think we have an Auto Value here in my town. I will have to check it out when I go pick up a timing belt. I bought most everything from 1stsubaruparts.com, though they messed up the order and I have to send stuff back and get different items.

As for porcupine73's--we don't talk like dat here eh! Dey talk like dat way over West of us in Fargo and the Grand Forks, or maybe down there in them Twin Cities!