Ultimate Subaru Message Board

frozen cam?

j2coe

just picked up a car most likely for parts. EA82 engine, MPFI turbo, drivers side cam is frozen won't turn, per previous owners and I can't budge it either, removed the valve cover it has hydraulic lifters, and the cam is rough and scored the third lobe back looks bone dry and some coloring in the scoring rainbow like when you heat metal. think isn't worth putting a new cam assembly from the JY to see if it runs? If it froze and discolored would you think there was at least one blocked oil channel? something else caused the problem.

It can just be somone screwed it up after doing a timing belt or a HG repair.

Remove the timing belt and see if the engine turns freely. Inspect the cam bearings on the other side. If the other cam bearings are fine, I would repair it, BUT you would need to make sure all the oil galleys are clear. Thats the reason it went in the first place.

Someone with more exp with this engine will tell you how.

nipper

my buddy bought an '86 GL wagon that the PO had started a valve job, but didn't finish (replaced the valves, didn't reassemble the motor). when my buddy was putting it all together, he put too much RTV on the cam case, and the cam was starved of oil. so it seized. we put a new cam/case on it, new timing belt, and it's run very well ever since (well....as well as a feedback carbed EA82 ever will :-\ )

the easiest thing to do is to try and find out from the previous owner what happened. was it low on oil? have you checked the oil level now?

pull the cam all the way out and have a look, the motor might be perfectly fine, but you won't be able to tell much without pulling the cam, unless it's really bad. my first guess is that it was run low on oil and is probably scrap, but that's just a guess, it sounds like it's worth a look for you. i'd drain the oil and look for metal bits in it. i'd also pull the oil pump and have a look at it as well, they will typically have signs of wear if it was run low on oil.

that lobe is probably not the major problem, the cam bearing surfaces are probably scored and that's where it is actually stuck/frozen. if that's the case, sounds like it was oil starved and probably due to lack of oil. there's a chance that side just didn't get oil and the block/rest of the motor are fine. i think that's less likely than it just running low on oil, but it is a possibility.

the EGR pipe that comes out of the head under the drivers side is sheared off too, anyone know where it would end up on an 87 XT 1.8? it's different than my RX and GL-10s since it has the spider intake. can't find a diagram in the XT service manual I downloaded either. I don't suppose those can be plugged. :grin:

the EGR pipe that comes out of the head under the drivers side is sheared off too, anyone know where it would end up on an 87 XT 1.8? it's different than my RX and GL-10s since it has the spider intake. can't find a diagram in the XT service manual I downloaded either. I don't suppose those can be plugged. :grin:

the EGR valve itself bolts onto the spider intake, on the drivers side runner towards the firewall.

I couldn't find anything on the back drivers side last night, which would be similar to the location on other models, I can't find the other end of the sheared hose either :-\ I'll do some more digging after work this afternoon. at the moment I'm not convinced this is the original engine there are a bunch of hoses that were in weird places or just plugged like some one didn't know where to connect them.