Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternator went bad - is it OEM?

The alternator in my 97 Subaru Legacy just went bad (battery and brake lights are on). I found out that there is an alternator recall for my model year from mysubaru.com, so I can possibly get it get it replaced for free. How can I tell an OEM alternator from a replacement? I guess if the previous owner replaced the alternator on his own, then it wouldn't qualify for the recall. Does that make sense?

How can I tell an OEM alternator from a replacement?

Typically, if a replacement alternator it will have the rebuilders tag on it, usually a sticker, of some sort.

I *think* it would be best of you contact your dealer, verify the re-call, and find out where you stand in regard to that re-call. If that is a "go" explain that your alternator is "dead" and to save towing/their labor you would like to wander in with it.

It really, in the end, all comes down to the relationship you have with your dealer.

Great if you can snag "a free one", but really, 10 years on (1997-2007) could be called "regular wear and tear".

Well my dealer knows about the alternator as he has sent me a notice to bring my car in to deal have the alternator replaced. I'm not sure if the recall would be in place for a previously replaced alternator. I would think so because the faulty alternator would have needed to be replaced in order to put another one in.

I'll just call my dealer and find out.

I think they would still replace it under the recall. IIRC that was a NHTSA recall as it could result in the vehicle dying while driving, something about some brush or wire coming loose at high rpm operation, so they don't have much choice. They might give a little grief about not having the original OEM core to return though.

When I replaced my alt on the 96 OBW with ~180k, I ordered a Subaru rebuilt through Jason at Auburn, WA. The rebuilt has it's middle core around the outside body painted a drab green, the original had no markings or painted surfaces. Replacements may have similar markings - I'm not sure. Just thought I'd mention it.