Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Worn Syncro Advice

Durania

Does the ATF trick work for worn synchro's too (those that often buzz or grind as you shift into gear)? On my Nissan 200SX, getting past the 2nd gear synchro and into gear is sometimes a nightmare, depending on what rpm and how quick you try to shift, 3rd gear synchro is starting to develop same problem, and on the Subie 3rd is also starting to protest being shifted into on occasion. Keep in mind, they all do get into gear, it's just that they grind first.

See here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920674&highlight=%22Uncle+Scotty%27s%22+cocktail

Many folks swear by it. The consensus seems to be that the key ingredient is the Redline Lightweigh Shockproof - the others are mostly to improve the anti-wear properties for the front diff. Some folks report even better results with 3 quarts of RLS and top the rest off with Motul or Castrol.

GD

Thanks for your advice guys and thanks Mike for clearing up the typo error. Ill go by Autozone and look again on Sunday when I am on my way out to my dad's house to do the brakes on the BRAT. All the other gears are fine its just when going from reverse to first that I have some issues; most of the time I let out of the clutch and push in on it again to go back into gear but sometimes that doesnt even work and Im pushing as hard as I can to get it into gear.

I've run Rislone, I've tried ATF. rislone actually rescued 2nd gear on our '94 LGT. but have notice a substantial improvement from Rislone to Scotty's cocktail (my dad actually asked me if I swapped trannies on it!)

I'm a convert. it is $30 worth of tranny fluid, and you'll have to do some hunting to find it (the Redline isn't typically available just anywhere, but is the key to making it work.....), but completely worth it.

transmission_cocktail.jpg

btw, for a one-stop, good deal on this stuff. check out http://www.grimmspeed.com

it's a local (St. Paul, MN) company that I've worked with alot (and may offer EA series parts before too long).

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68102

I did a search of Redline products the local autozone carries and they only carry the fuel treatment stuff. Ill call around to some parts places today and see if they carry it.

Also I notice that my tranny is only rated at 3.2 quarts per the general specification page. Would I need to add less of one to get it to work properly ?