Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cruise Control Installation..this easy?

Greetings Gurus,

I was shopping for foglights when I found the following page:

http://www.subaruparts.com/catalog/?section=12

Near the bottom of the page is a cruise control unit for '97 impreza AT (my car!) for only $57. I would really really really like to have cc so this was a very pleasant find. I just need to know if it is 'plug and play' or if I will also have to install all of the other parts too. (out of the question, ill buy a new car first). Does anyone know how hard these things are to install?

Thanks,

Major Lazy

You need to ask them if it's the full kit, or just the CC "unit" (computer). My guess is that it's just the unit and you would need the steering wheel, actuator, clutch and brake switches, and maybe a few relays and stuff. Probably NOT a simple plug and play. If it were, then why would you bother making it an option to reduce the cost of the car? The wiring might be there, but you will likely find that nothing else related to the system is installed - that's where the cost savings for the manufacturer are passed on to the consumer that doesn't want/need that feature.

GD

A friend of mine got the complete dealer kit to install CC in his '95 legacy. Said it was a breeze to install. "Go here, plug this in, go there, plug that in", etc.

Still had to install the cables and stuff to the throttle plate, but again, was just plug & play.

The steering wheel switches even retrofitted well.

ymmv,

-Dave