Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

Eh, I'll have to try to figure that one out later...

Anyway, I need to know right now how the negative battery cable mounts. IE where its supposed to bolt up to so I can pick a length.

you should have 2 wires coming off the negative post. one to a spot on the body and one to the engine...

do you have any open threaded bosses on the block? the closer to the battery, the better.

alright, neither of these are quite enough information without knowing the car very well. Do either of these systems match the diagrams you posted?

I need help figuring this out...

alternatordiagram.jpg

One of those wires is a 12v reference for the regulator. my guess is the one going to the gauges is that one (charge light?). Black/White might just be a ground.

no idea about the new one without some diagrams.

tachometer.jpg

Does the tach have a back light? It likely has a power source, ground, and signal wire (and possibly a back light, in which case it's likely grounded through the bracket).

If you can pull the gauge apart and see the circuitry, you might be able to identify the wires.

alright, neither of these are quite enough information without knowing the car very well. Do either of these systems match the diagrams you posted?

This diagram appears to be close in the most departments. Its the only one with the 5 connections to the ignition (2 going straight to the key lock) and the only one with the warnign buzzer.

But other things like the radio/cig lighter connections are different.

1300g.jpg

One of those wires is a 12v reference for the regulator. my guess is the one going to the gauges is that one (charge light?). Black/White might just be a ground.

no idea about the new one without some diagrams.

I need a wiring diagram from a car with the internal regulator.

What I did for now was cut out the voltage regulator and ran the red/white and black/white wire to some connectors that can connect to the alternator. I just don't know which goes to which, which one goes to the yellow and which to the green.

I'm not even sure if its the correct thing to do. I also got rid of that white wire that connects to the regulator from the white wire that goes to the screw in part on the alternator.

Does the tach have a back light? It likely has a power source, ground, and signal wire (and possibly a back light, in which case it's likely grounded through the bracket).

If you can pull the gauge apart and see the circuitry, you might be able to identify the wires.

I think it had a light. I had it disassembled at one point, but I was stupid and didn't take photos...

I'll take it apart tomorrow and take a look.

Is the signal wire the one that goes to the MSD? And the power source, what should it be getting power from?

I need a wiring diagram from a car with the internal regulator.

What I did for now was cut out the voltage regulator and ran the red/white and black/white wire to some connectors that can connect to the alternator. I just don't know which goes to which, which one goes to the yellow and which to the green.

I'm not even sure if its the correct thing to do. I also got rid of that white wire that connects to the regulator from the white wire that goes to the screw in part on the alternator.

I think you're on the right track. I suspect those 2 wires have similar uses. Just a matter of tracking it down. I really have so little experience with older subarus, my '84 brat is definitely the oldest subaru I've worked on.

I think it had a light. I had it disassembled at one point, but I was stupid and didn't take photos...

I'll take it apart tomorrow and take a look.

Is the signal wire the one that goes to the MSD? And the power source, what should it be getting power from?

I guess it's a pretty good assumption it's designed to have some sort of light in it. More accurate question would be whether it's switched with the lights (separate power source/separate wire), or on all the time (shared wire).

The signal wire would definitely be the one from the MSD.

Power source doesn't matter too much. Needs to be switched with the ignition, and fused. I don't know what you're using for a fuse box, but I'd probably use one fuse for all your instrumentation.

I ended up using the original fuse box cause of the fact it has some sort of cross-over internally built thingy that makes the one plug go into 3. I don't know how to do that with another fuse box, so I'm gonna use the factory one for now.

So one power source is split into 3 fuses? That's pretty common.

There are a number of ways you could reproduce that with aftermarket stuff. Use a few different boxes with different sources (switched, unswitched, etc.). Or, get a box where the fuses are all separated internally, and connect them externally how you want to.

Either way. Nothing wrong with re-using the old one.

OK, here is a photo of the tachometer and its wiring.

The red wire is to the light bulb, and the ground goes straight to the housing. So the question is, which is the power and which is the signal?

tachometer-1.jpg

Also, here is the wiring on the NEW alternator. Note only two wires at the connector, and I can't tell which does which:

alternatorwiring.jpg

I also have an EA81 A/C fan that I will probably use after I clean it up a bit. It has two wires, a black and a blue. Is the blue the power?

ea81fan.jpg

OK, I have most of the wiring "in" the car and quite a few bits connected up. But I still don't have the items that I added like the MSD and tach wired up.

According to everything I've figured out so far, the "blue" wire from the ignition is the "switched source" for power. Now my question for the MSD is, how do I connect to it? I mean, what kind of connection should I use in terms of wiring technique? I've never done anything quite like this so I want to be certain. Heck, I'm not sure any of the connections I made will hold up...

The tachometer, does the power come from the same switched source? And the light bulb I presume goes to something like the headlight wiring?

As for the radiator fan, the wiring already has a spot going to the thermoswitch, do I have to completely re-wire it to go to the fan? I'm having trouble figuring out this one.

OK, I have most of the wiring "in" the car and quite a few bits connected up. But I still don't have the items that I added like the MSD and tach wired up.

According to everything I've figured out so far, the "blue" wire from the ignition is the "switched source" for power. Now my question for the MSD is, how do I connect to it? I mean, what kind of connection should I use in terms of wiring technique? I've never done anything quite like this so I want to be certain. Heck, I'm not sure any of the connections I made will hold up...

The tachometer, does the power come from the same switched source? And the light bulb I presume goes to something like the headlight wiring?

As for the radiator fan, the wiring already has a spot going to the thermoswitch, do I have to completely re-wire it to go to the fan? I'm having trouble figuring out this one.

If you already have that wire, that's the wire that grounds the relay circuit to send power to your fan. you'd have to trace that one back to find where the original relay was if there was one...

and yes, blue is the power for the fan, though by swapping wires around, you can make the fan go the opposite direction... you want to make sure it pulls air thru the radiator

I suppose it could have been direct wired with power to one side of fan, then the ground side of the fan to the thermo switch.....

I suppose it could have been direct wired with power to one side of fan, then the ground side of the fan to the thermo switch.....

That's how the EA82 ones are wired. Power side just switched with the ignition, and the ground through the thermoswitch

Alright, I just tested out the wiring I have in there now... Its all plugged in minus the horn, rad fan, and tachometer.

Things that worked perfectly:

Blower motor (felt air the cab, woot!)

Washer motor

Wipers (the switch I bought from danny works perfect!)

Starter

Headlights

Roll connector/turn signal stalk did its job.

Things that didn't work very well:

Front right blinker didn't blink well, probably the bulb but not sure.

Rear tail lights didn't go on when the headlights went on.

Side blinkers (all 4, 2 on the hood 2 on the trunk) never did anything.

Rear license plate light didn't do anything.

Fuel pump was damn loud (probably due to no fuel?)

Serious problems:

That stupid "red light" switch light thingy on the left of the steering wheel was on ALL THE TIME even if the key was out of the ignition! It got REAL hot and the "switch" didn't seem to do anything...

Anyway, pretty good test I thought, but I have some serious wiring issues with the lights. I have no clue how to figure it out either...

When I get my radiator here soon from USPS, I can get that installed then test the motor with fuel and coolant in it :)

Edited by Kostamojen

Can't get the horns to work either. I was testing out the wiring with the stock horns and stock wheel that I know work, and nothing.

Also, correction on the wiper operation... It doesn't like the "high" setting. Works just fine on the first setting, but on high it just slows down or stops.

OK, so I was fiddling with the car again and discovered something.

If I put the key in the ignition, the side marker lights and tail lights all come on. Also, the front right corner light works too when I do this.

I think I screwed up something trying to remove the interior dome light and door switch and I'm not sure how to fix it. It has to do with the key ignition switch since thats obviously whats completing the circuit I guess.