Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

:like:

So what did the guys recommend to fix it ? ( new sleeve + weld it up ? ) Make sure they take loads of photos to document the process ... ;)

P.S. - While you do have it apart, I hope you checked it all over - including the other cylinder head for dreaded unwanted 'holes' ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Hello, i spoke to Kosta the other day and he said you might have a spare FF1 water pump, you would be interested in selling one to save another FF1 down under 

Thierry

At this time I'm not selling any spares/parts  - I'd love to help but I have to make sure i get her up and running before I sell off anything 

:like:

So what did the guys recommend to fix it ? ( new sleeve + weld it up ? ) Make sure they take loads of photos to document the process ... ;)

P.S. - While you do have it apart, I hope you checked it all over - including the other cylinder head for dreaded unwanted 'holes' ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

More or less it's a weld and re-sleeve

the gentleman doing the work has decades of experience. i'm feeling confident we are in good hands.

engine has been gone through and will be again and likely again - before we put it all back together again ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Well... just ran across this thread this morning and now the day is mostly over because I couldn't look away! :rolleyes: All I can say is WOW!! Steve, what a fantastic thing you did with that body, truly impressive. I must say I had my doubts at the very beginning... ^_^ I remember being in high school and going with my auto mechanics teacher to work on a pair of these for one of his regular customers. They were a black family with 12 KIDS and wanting more :blink: I remember they had one of those big cast iron pots in the backyard hanging over a fire cooking beans, which were delicious and I think maybe was all Steve, my teacher accepted for payment. We changed the points in both cars, a wagon and a 4 door and checked them over. These were the only vehicles the family of 14 had and Steve had hooked them up because they were the cheapest, most reliable thing to drive on the planet! I also remember checking out the suspension and inboard brakes and wondering why they changed that?? Steve said "if we have to do a front brake job for them, you'll know why." Subaru has always cared about making their cars easy to work on.

On another note, about the hole drilled in the new block, Subaru has an "obsolescence" program, or used to at least, which allows the dealers to get rid of parts that they believe will never sell. When I had just started working at my first dealership, one day the big fat slob parts manager came waddling out the parts dept with a brand new drivers door for a hatchback. I HAD a hatchback with a dented, rusted out drivers door (and 3 kids at home that took precedence over car parts). Before I could ask him about it, he asked to borrow a hammer, I gave him my 4 pounder which he immediately  swung and caved in the side of the door!!! He handed my hammer back and said "Here, can you throw that in the dumpster for me?" I fell to my knees and let out a yell like Belushi in Animal House when the case of booze got smashed! And I know that waste-of-space knew I needed that door :mad: But at that point, he and other old timers working there didn't think a kid my age had paid enough dues to be working as a dealer tech. So for the next couple of days, the parts dept kept trying to break things and throw them out for a percentage of what they had paid for them, and thinking it was the best deal they could get, (oh, the humanity!) But I was dumpster diving every night!! :clap: Some stuff they just got lazy and didn't hurt, like complete front axles, which back then were several hundred dollars apiece!

But who knew back then anyway? I know I didn't either because I had a garage full of '70s engines and trannys of every flavor including a couple of 1000's! One day I got tired of moving and taking care of them and scrapped it all, thinking if I didn't want them, no one ever would  :eek:

Anyhow, sorry for the ramble... Subie Gal, congrats and keep us posted! I'm sure the weld up will be just fine. I have a 360 van too, but I'll save that story for later :P

Cheers!!

• 4 weeks later...

SEAT PHOTOS!

Again, seats are from a 1982 Mazda GLC. They were from the original owner, who'd removed them from his car when new to install Sparco seats.

Sat in his basement for 30 years waiting for a new home. So perfect. Love them so much.

1557641_10152020208794934_526758751_n.jpg

close up of the seat detail. they are vintage and genuine and I think I love that most of all.

1560585_10152020208849934_91854746_n.jpg

custom mounting brackets were made by www.chaserace.com - Doug (owner ) is a master fabricator.

2-3 test fit sessions, lots of measuring to make the seats fit perfectly using the OE brackets.

These seats are just a tick wider than the OE Subaru Seats... bit of math to make them fit center and function correctly.

1531698_10152020208819934_1113568405_n.jpg

Yay she has seats again!  She is one very happy little car :) 

1551524_10152020208914934_800858729_n.jpg

• Like 4

nice hit, who did the hole repair?

too late but Ram Engines had decades of EA experience, testing, fabrication, and design for aircraft applications, i visited their facility once.  i'm a little confused as the website changed and their location went from OH to SC if this is the same place:

http://www.ramengines.com/page15.php

Small Engine Machine Works in Portland OR did the hole repair.

http://www.smallenginemachineworks.com/

They did a killer job. Hope to have time to put it back together this weekend.

Too many car projects lining up at one time! eeeek! (all of our other cars need attn too, including the daily drivers....)

great, thanks and keep at it.

will do for sure!

This FF-1 feels like a community child that we've all been watching grow up and develop, and just as it was about to go out into the world it fail highschool biology and had to stay back a year.

Cant wait for the college years!!!

ahahaha me either :)

Nice choice on the early '80s Mazda seats (GLC in the US, Familia in Japan and 323 in Oz!), always loved the look of them!

thank you! must be fate as i stumbled upon them. a co-worker overheard me talking about the seat dilemma i was having and he simply said.... "i have some seats..." :) worked out well! too well! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Subie gal - Got a name for it yet ? - Should try 'Holley' as she looks a bit forlorn / unhappy there in the snow ... :(

Definitely a sunshine girl ... :)

Cheers, Bantum.

I'm sure her feet were cold. she didn't last long out there - I didn't want her to get too uncomfortable - she doesn't have any carpet yet! =)

oh!  Her name is Fujiko  藤子  - - I just call her Fuji for short :)